Inboard engine well for outbaord motor

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wudenbote, Aug 27, 2008.

1. bobg3723

bobg3723 Senior Member

I get that splash back against my Wavewackers all the time at various speeds from wallowing in the bow wave hole until I plane out, and then upon throttling down my 17' Lund Tyee. In my case, with the weight of the V4, two marine batteries and a third starting batteriy and the weight of 9.9 HP kicker, I've essentially overloaded the transom (shame on me :rolleyes: ). :D

That's not just empty space behind my Lund Tyee. Thats a hole in the water caused by my bow wave just waiting at the opportunity for the lake to fill back up! And it will push itself back into that hole I made with a big splash through every nook and cranny I've dragged through the water. And what it did notice after I installed the gasket fantastic was prevent a wall of water upwelling over the transom all at once in one big splashy wet mess. It comes into the outboard splash pan at a reduced rate stays in there as it drains itself before getting a chance to soak the battery box bench carpet.

I have no opinion on how badly a transom pit affects performance to any degree that matters, but in keeping down the water ingress to a manageable degree will depend on who is actually using this configuration. Perhaps whomever actually uses this boat can shed more light on this?

Some people want top speed performance of an I/O, others want degree of thrust directionality that a swiveling OB lower unit provides at trolling speeds. It was mention on their website that its was designed as a duck boat and that suits outboards better than I/O's, I would think. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.