know better than go to Rhode River Marina

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by EdgewaterMD, Jul 27, 2009.

1. EdgewaterMD

EdgewaterMD Junior Member

Is there ANY way to get honest work done right on a boat?

Mechanic/technician and I look at the boat and agree what/where problem is before leaving the boat. should be able to fix in about an hour at $95/hr. Then I get call 2 weeks later from service writer/owner saying other parts should be replaced, problem will take longer and cost much more to fix. When I refuse to those additional repairs, I receive a bill for looking at it, with 'Environmental charges' tacked on besides! They never touched a wrench to it, the boat's locked up in storage, and I can't have it back until I pay.

No work was ever done but I pay to avoid further aggravation or more bogus charges. A big waste of time and money. Is there any way to get honest quality work done on a boat?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You can just do everything yourself.... at least that way you know who to blame if things don't go well.

As far as I know, boat repairers aren't subject to the same kind of scrutiny and regulation that auto mechanics are. For instance, if I take my car to a mechanic, he has to have his trade licence, and he has to tell me- before I hand over the keys- how much he'll charge to look at it. Then, once he knows what work needs to be done, he has to give me a quote for the work and I have to sign it. If there are any surcharges, extra repairs, etc. that crop up partway through, I have to sign the quote for them before he can do them. If I decide not to have the extra work done, he has to put the car back together according to the original quote, at the original price. The industry itself figured all this out and it was put in law, with the government handling complaints about the few remaining shops that try to cheat the client.

But the boat diesel repair guy... well, to the best of my knowledge, he doesn't have nearly the same controls over how he does business. You're pretty much on your own, unless you can prove that your issue is worthy of small-claims court.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, the Rhode River Marina is required to have occupation licenses and they are authorized dealers and repair facilities for several models.

Tell them you'd be happy to pay, but your payment is in escrow pending your attorney's scrutiny of their bill.

Honestly, it sounds like we're not hearing the whole story. In this economic climate, it wouldn't be a wise business decision to toss prospective clients the shaft arbitrarily, which suggests to me this well known marina is foolishly run or only part of the story is missing.

In short don't pay the bill and have an attorney call the marina. One phone call from an attorney is usually all it takes, if it's just a mix up of some sort.

Frankly, they should be tripping over themselves to help you. Since this isn't the case, there's got to be some sort of issue they have with you or you haven't shared with us.

4. EdgewaterMD

no, i don't really think there's more to the story. but thank goodness because i think it was heading the wrong way quick.

told my experience to a friend that owns small marina (not repair yard) nearby and he was instant-ready with another rotten story about same guy. but despite my own frustration, it occurred to me that it was just one side of a story.

and mentioned story to another local friend in the marine business who said without emotion - 'they're just trying to survive'. i don't think he condoned the business practice but seemed to have slightly different take on economic conditions and level of service than you.

other than doing work myself, it seems like only way to go is get new stuff with good reliability reputation and warranty; then hope for the best.

5. bntii

bntii Senior Member

This part in no way represents dishonesty or should be felt to be unusual in any way. A competent mechanic will upon close inspection find issues not discovered at the first glance. It is his responsibility and in keeping with your best interests that he keeps you informed as to what he discovers in working on your equipment.

Its your gear- if it is damaged he should tell you and if you agree to repairs, it will cost more in terms of time and materials.

Charging you for estimating a job is not consistent with trade practice where I work- (in MD BTW)
    I do imagine however that they ate up a good deal of time in working on your boat and are trying to get at least a token labor charge on the books after you backed out of the agreement.

Check to see if the environmental fee is not in fact associated with storage- not the work estimate...

My advice- go have a sit down with the manager. Tradesmen have a great deal of integrity- there is a native pride in doing a good job. I believe backing away from the adversarial relationship you feel now will get this issue straightened out. Ask them directly about what they found that needed repair and why- you might be surprised. You may agree that you need your equipment in good order and get the required repairs.

6. EdgewaterMD

Factory-trained mechanic looks at problem and estimates how long it will take him to fix and it is agreed to leave the boat for repair as discussed.

2 weeks later owner/manager says he's looked at it and it will take much longer to fix and more parts must be replaced.

The parts have recently been replaced and have a minimum (according to factory) service life of about 7 years. The parts appear to be undamaged.

At this point, I think losing faith in the transaction is justified and that a second opinion is reasonable before proceeding into very expensive repairs.

How is that 'adversarial'?

The owner/manager locks boat down on premises until a labor, shop, and environmental fees are paid. There has been no disassembly and no wrench has ever touched the boat and there was no agreement of a charge for estimate, or re-estimate as the situation is.

What does that have to do with 'integrity' or 'native pride in job well done'? Sit-down? the above was the owner/manager's doing. Since no work was done, integrity would have been sticking to the original estimate, or releasing the boat for a second opinion by third party, without charge for changing their opinion.

I'm glad I knew the condition of the parts before going in and that I got the boat the - - - - out of there as fast as I could!

but what the heck - boats are about disposable income, and if you got some to waste, let me suggest Rhode River Marina.

7. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Sure- a second opinion is "reasonable", going on a open forum and calling the man a thief is not. It's called libel.

"What does that have to do with 'integrity' "?

Everything- you are saying that they have none.

8. PAR

As I originally mentioned, there's clearly something we're not privy to in this discussion, which would likely part the cloudy waters pretty quickly.

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Par speaks with wisdom - the devil is in the detail

This sort of stuff happens a lot when motors are involved. I took a small outboard in for a "service", and got charged an extra $100 or so to replace the fuel pump, on a motor that had less than 50 hours use.

But - my son had used his scabby fuel tank, and sucked up heaps of rubbish when he used the last of the fuel.

No way the poor mechanic could have known about that in the orginal quote.

But - there are heaps of stories the other way too.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  10. Sue Conner

Sue Conner New Member

Rhode River Marina Response

Rhode River Marina, Inc. has pride and integrity in our +25 years in business. In response to EDGEWATER, MD forum posted on 7/27/09; there is always TWO sides of a story. Not knowing who this customer is, I won't be able to address his issues directly. However, that doesn't matter because we treat all our customers with the utmost respect, because without them we wouldn't be in business today.

Upon taking in a Service Work Order from a customer, he has to give a description of the problem and his permission for the technician to diagnose the mechanical problem (this can't be done based on the customer description of the problem; it can ONLY be done by the technician having direct access with the boat/engine at the time of diagnosing the problem issue). Once the technician has had the opportunity to diagnose the problem the customer is called with the findings and an estimate of the repairs needed to fix the problem. At this point the customer has the right to either go forward with the repairs or not.

In response to "NO WORK WAS DONE" that’s INCORRECTbecause the customer did sign a Service Work Order requested R.R.M. to have a technician diagnose the problem with his boat/engine. Therefore, a certified technician did indeed diagnose the problem and prepare an estimate for repairs needed to fix his boat/engine. It appears that this customer thinks he's not responsible for the Service Work Order he requested. That’s the problem, he expects something for nothing and no business can survive under his philosophy.

The last thing we want is to have a unhappy customer. Therefore, should this customer wish to contact us and discuss this issue directly we would be more then happy to apply his diagnostic fee paid toward the repair of his boat/engine. As a family owned and operated business we try our best everyday run a honest and trustworthy business. :) .

1 person likes this.
  11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Aha - I knew it, it was an *ENGINE*

Sounds fair enough to me - you dont know what you dont know until you look where no-one has seen.

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple"

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

So we dont know who he is but

But we know that he signed a form ...

Oh , come one Sue - you know *exactly* who this is - but I wouldnt chase him through a forum either. Its easy to complain in anonymity, and its very unfair to "white ant" a business without presenting all the facts.

Good on you for responding to an anonomous complaint, many wouldnt bother.

13. PAR

Hi Sue, I haven't been in your marina in many years, but having been in the industry for a lot longer then I'm willing to openly admit to anymore, I "just knew" something was up here.

Most successful business people I've met have an ability to "sense" snake bit accounts or clients. I'm not suggesting this person was one of those accounts, but my "feelers" stood up with their first post and since have continued to give me that "itch" when you do meet one of these snake bit situations. Some times you just can't please or satisfy folks. It's not your fault, it's their nature.

Maybe it's an honest misunderstanding, but if it was, then they'd have been their on your carpet yelling and screaming about holding their boat for ransom. I've found, when honest people are wronged, they get their backs up pretty good and make enough noise to at least try to get things straightened out. If they just pay and "swear to never come back" then there's a lot more that hasn't been said and most of these would probably be embarrassed if their kids found out about their behavior.