Hydro planes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Cobra1, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

Yes my first post, did the search and no luck. I have sent emails out to several kit builders, and they must be sleeping for the winter. I want to build a 16' - 18' hydro for drag racing and burning up the local waters. This will be outboard powered. Yes there are 100 or more inboard powered hydro's for sale, but none that will take a V6 merc. Does any one know where I might get a kit or plans for this boat. Thank you for your time.

Scott

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

You might try GlenL.com. I built a 20' inboard from their plans. Good people to deal with.

Jango

3. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

Yea but they only go up to 11'. I think it would sink with a 350 pound merc on the back. I did send them an email to see if they had anything in the 18' range. Most hydro kits - plans are small kneel down stuff for APBA racing. I don't need to be this guy and make it to the news. Oh fast forward to 5 min if you don't care to watch the entire vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8cE4YLIzMA

4. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

Tunnel Hulls

Have you thought about Grand Prix/Formula One tunnel hulls? They're in the size range you're looking for, are designed for outboards, would work well for drag racing, and might be modified to accomodate two people.

5. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

F1 tunnel hull would work as well, but were to find one? No room for two, no no no. That would slow it down, not to mention all the back seat driving, you know what I'm talking about. Cockpit size is a factor. I not some skinny but Eruo car driver, I need a GT seat. Are there any paln or frame kits for those tunnel boats you speekk of???

6. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

Plans

http://www.aeromarineresearch.com/powerboats-testimonials.html

Here's a start.

7. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

Thanks Franklin , I will look into that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.