Sydney-Hobart Foiler!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This boat was originally talked about in the Foil Assist Monohull thread even though part of the hype was that it was to be "fully foiling" but the renders supplied with the hype, initially, showed no rudder t-foils. That meant that no way was it fully foiling! But then a week or two later they came out with rudder t-foil renders. So I'm convinced that this thing will not be foil assist but will, in fact, be the first fully foiling keelboat designed specifically to win the Sydney-Hobart Race. But the real clincher for me was this excellent video interview with Andrew Buckland who is quite a guy!
    The interview with Buckland is great but there is some annoying noise on and off thru the beginning and middle. Ignore it but listen carefully to Mr. Buckland! He has 20 or so Sydney-Hobarts to his credit and is well known for his exploits in the Australian 18 class.
    The new boat may be "Bucko O4"....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This is moved from the Foil Assist thread--see the video in the previous post:
    Here's a new boat that is claimed to be a full flying foiler that at 15m LOA will beat the 100' "normal" boats. As much as I would be excited by such a boat this boat as shown is not it.* I has no rudder T-foils and therefore will not be "full flying". I doubt a 15m foil assist boat could beat the big guys......
    * In fact this is it! see the following post.....
    https://www.sail-world.com/news/215737/New-foiler-design-with-Rolex-Sydney-Hobart-in-mind[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Some tidbits from the video about the "Bucko 04":
    1-speed on foils about 1.3 times windspeed until wind is too strong-say over 30 where the multiple drops,
    2- about 8 crew
    3-takeoff between 10 and 15k boatspeed.
    4-It's roughly the same beam as a tp52, but when foiling, the RM increases to around 2x the TP.
    5- Also ~ 1500 kg lighter than said TP.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

It would be just terrific if Charal or Hugo Boss (IMOCA 60's) entered the SH with rudder T-foils as a class demo of what was possible with that relatively minor mod that is against class rules now. If they did well in a major "demo race" like the SH it would probably go a long way towards getting the rule changed.

Pictures by Yvan Zedda:
    CharalDefiAzimut2018byYvanZedda_52.jpg

CharalDefiAzimut2018byZedda_06.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.