Improving IOR Stability?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jakmang, Mar 6, 2013.

1. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

In the video of the M24 which is about the most un IOR boat you can find they simply got blown over because they failed to get the spinnaker tack out to the end of the pole. The spinny filled a long way from the boat and just pulled the boat over, also the main was over trimmed and too much vang. It was also pretty darn windy .
    Make sure you are clear on what is a knockdown and what is a broach. Knockdown is to leeward , a broach is to weather.

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Paul B.

you misrepresent my comments, not one is accurate, you post serves on useful purpose, and what gonzo wrote is completely accurate.

1 person likes this.
  3. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

you cannot be serious? Where did you go to sailing school? The wind does not blow from one direction, it ocillates usually 5-10 or more degrees. That being the case and since no sloop with lowers that Ive ever been on can swing the boom anymore than about 80 degrees to the wind, one usually sails slightly upwind of 180 degrees. Otherwise its called sailing by the lee, which is another set of problems on a windy day.

One always has a windward and leeward side to a boat unless one is a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I disagree with that. The wind doesn't always swing that much. The angle of the boom and the sailing course are not exactly related. The wind direction may come from leeward as defined by racing rules and COLREGS. Another example where upwind is not clearly defined is with square sails. Also, sailing with spinnaker alone (which was eventually banned by IOR) defines windward by the position of the pole and not the angle of the wind.

5. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

Next time you go sailing downwind, set your pole to leeward and your boom to windward- no wait you cant do that because windward and leeward only exist in our universe, not yours- what the hell just set the boom to leeward and the pole to windward- no wait that cant happen either because the reptilian overlords have deemed it illogical because youre sailing a true 180. Screw it dude just hoist the square sail and brace it at 90 degrees, lets eliminate those troublesome terms windward and leeward from the yachting lexicon entirely.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

So, after reading your insulting comments, I still don't see a definition of windward and leeward when the course is 180 degrees from the wind.

7. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

You're just being disingenuous, I hope.

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

It never ends with this guy.

9. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

I dont mean to insult, but take it as you will because I think your comments are either a joke requiring a joke response or provocative also requiring a joke response. For the sake of those who are new to the sport and who read these forums thinking that anyone who posts a lot must know somethng, Ill explain again.

Windward and leeward are relative terms, reasonably self explanatory but if there is some doubt due to sailing at 180 degrees or on a very light day then whichever side the boom is on is the leeward side. In addition to this, it is not often that a boat sails a true 180 for long, especially a racing yacht as its not the fastest point of sail so as you can see most sailors who read your question see it as a non sequitor.

10. Petros

Petros Senior Member

If you are slightly up wind of 180 deg, than that would not be directly down wind would it? Or does directly down wind not really directly down wind?

This is the problem with assumptions in how these words are defined, in order to be able to communicate you have to have the same assumptions, or your words are meaningless.

Sailing terminology often has built-in assumptions, often dating from earlier times with obsolete and imprecise terminology.

So before you belittle or ridicule me or anyone else, I ask for what do you mean exactly when you are refering to windward or lee ward when sailing directly down wind?

Does this mean your are not really directly down wind, or it is just the convention based on where you set your boom? What you would call it if sailing in a historic square rigger?

all cases are not the same, this is why I ask you for a definition of what you mean exactly.

So please just humor me and just define your words please.

11. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

It will all come clear when you get on the helm downwind on a breezy day. Have you been sailing yet? Sorry but your questions are not relevant to the real world, perhaps in theory its worth talking about, but all I can say is go sailing.

12. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I have been in sailboats since I was 12 years old, over 40 years ago. I have built some 18 or 19 small boats, many of them sailboat. I have crewed in club races since I was 19 years old.

yes, every time we were going down wind, if we were flying a spinnaker or not, it was never "directly down wind". What do you mean when you say "directly down wind"?

You again have not answered a simple question, but choose to issue more snide remarks.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have been sailing as an amateur and a professional since 1969. Downwind is any point of sail broader than 90 degrees. Straight or directly downwind is 180 degrees.
    Paul B: can you explain your comment?

14. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Yes, gonzo, that is what I understand too. Maybe they do not know, but want to throw insults as if they do.

15. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

Sarcasm is fine when you use it right? But if you have been sailng all your life and you dont know what "rolling to windward" means even when 180 off the wind then nothing I say can help. Good luck with finding out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.