Daggerboard wear blocks?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Scuff, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

I'm finishing up the plug for my daggerboard. The top of the board is a rectangular section 24" high with the actual foil 36" oal 60". Using rectangular cases. I was thinking of adding a rebate to the plug at the top of the rectangular portion of the board about 4". I could use this to screw a strip of uhmw to the board to reduce friction/wear. Is this a good idea? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Russell Brown

Russell Brown Senior Member

Are you making female molds for the daggerboard? Usually wear strips are in the trunk so that they are still where they need to be when the board is raised. Thin, adhesive backed UHMW works inside trunks if kept out of the sun. McMaster has it.

Blueknarr likes this.
  3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

If you put the wear blocks on the dagger, it should contact the bottom of the case when the board is fully lowered. It will continue to work until it is raised high enough to exit the top of the case.

But, as Russell said
    Putting them in the case is usually best.

4. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

I am making female molds. How well does the adhesive hold up? How many/wide should the strips be? Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.