Sails in Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by ivansalasj, Feb 19, 2005.

1. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hi,

I am trying to design a genoa and a main sail on top of a yacht that i have designed using maxsurf, but i am finding it very hard specially because my mast seems to be cutting a bit of the genoa. Can anybody suggest me a good way to draw the sails in maxsurf?

Thanks
    Ivan

2. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

sailcut

Hi,

I'd recommend sailcut, or the new sailcut cad... (haven't used the new one, but like the old one, so imagine it would be as good or better). You can use it to get panel shapes, then import dxf file as markers n' draw the surfaces to fit if that's your ultimate goal...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sailcut/

Cheers,

Dave

3. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hi
    Thanks for the advice, i dont need surfaces really so i will see if i can get hold of that program and try it there then,
    Thanks again
    Ivan

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Ivan

Do you want to model the sails in Maxsurf simply for rendering (should be straightforward) or do you actually wish to use Maxsurf to design the sails for manufacture (not recommended).

If you wish to do serious sail design I would recommend looking into the dedicated sailmaking programs.

regards

5. JimCooper

JimCooper Junior Member

I use a few stock sail shapes in Rhino and export the Maxsurf model to Rhino for rendering and art work detail.

A freind gave me a few main sails and headsails from one of the sail making software packages and I distort them to suit, works well for basic graphics

6. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

I can direct import actual sails into TouchCAD from Sails Science Sailmaker using a built in import filter in TouchCAD. The enclosed image from the TouchCAD web site shows an example where everything but the sail was modeled in TouchCAD.

Attached Files:

7. boby boy

boby boy owner of cla boat design

what version of maxsurf are you using

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.