trying to plain out my boat with jet drive

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by zamaboy, Jul 19, 2009.

1. zamaboy

zamaboy New Member

I have just bought the Mercury 40hp jet, and have put it on a Float Trailer 16ft, this boat is heavy, but lots of room, want it for shalow rivers, the boat will not plane unless I get two people to move up front, can I lower the jet drive, as there is still 4 more mounting hole on my transom and the motor bracket The drive now sit about two inches above the bottom of the boat, if I was to lower the jet drive a couple of inches would that help drive the front end down??:idea:

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Yes and no. Lowering the motor actually makes the bow rise more, but if the motor is so high that you can only plow through the water because if it goes any faster you lose suction, then yes lowering will help.

The front of the intake needs to be about even with the bottom of the keel and depending on the shape of the hull it may need to be slightly lower or higher.

Is this a 60/40 jet from the factory, or is it a 40 with a jet put on it?
    You lose about 30% of the normally rated HP when a pump is used, so the motor is at the very low end of what may work.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pictures and a much more accurate description of what you are attempting is necessary, before you can expect any reasonable advise.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.