IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. gilbert pierce

gilbert pierce Junior Member

In my Cherokee those motor mounts screw into the wooden beams (stringers) that are glassed over. From the picture it looks like water got down around those bolts and rotted the wood they were screwed into.

If it were mine I would take a awl or ice pick and see if those beams have good wood in-front of and behind where the motor attaced at the front.
    I bet the wood is good and both sides.

I would get four pieces of angle iron that would enclose the top and most of the side of those stringers. Two pieces on each stringer. Screw these angle iron pieces to the good wood on the stringers and attach the engine mounts to the angle iron pieces. Have someone weld nuts on the bottom of the angle iron pieces before you bolt them down and then attach the motor mount bolts to the angle by screwing them into the welded on nuts. I woud use angle iron of at least 1/8" thick and as long as you can get that will fit on the stringers.

This idea probably needs some refinement but I don't believe a repair is a big deal.

2. zoom240

zoom240 New Member

Thanks for the tip

Gilbert,

Thanks for the suggestion. When I get back to the lake, I'll definitely take a look at the mounting holes and look at whether I can use some angle iron to remount the engine.

Dave

3. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Start by assessing how solid the stringers are. Drill some test holes through the fiberglass on top and along side the stringer and see what the wood is like. Fill the test hole with epoxy if it's ok not rotten.

The only longterm solution for rot is to rip out the rotten wood and replace. It's not that hard but it's a lot of itchy, dirty work. Once you have finished grinding out the old rotten wood and pulling the engine to do it, building it back is actually some fun.

Lag screws are commonly used for engine mounts but aren't very good. A metal saddle motor mount that is thru-bolted is a much better mount.

4. sparkyb620

sparkyb620 New Member

1973 imp aztec exhaust

hello i just got a 1973 imp aztec from my father i repainted it put swim deck on also put all new interior in it now im wanting to put thru hull exhaust on it the boat has a ford 302 188 hp motor in it ive seen people on here have done thru hull to these boats i just want to know how they did it without spending a ton of money can you just get a 90 degree elbow and go staight out the transom or should i get riser spacers and then a 90 degree elbow and go out of the back i would like some info if anyone can help thanks

5. vinnieallin

vinnieallin Junior Member

hello new astec owner here shes a 79 kinda rough but i hope to make her shine again.

6. Boat69

Boat69 New Member

Good luck:) We are doing the same thing with our 69' Vacationer. It's a task, but in the end it's well worth the effort. Classic boats are way cooler!

7. moeller87

moeller87 New Member

75 pawnee

well my outdrive needs $1600 to rebuild, and i have an issue with the throttle ,seems its been jimmied with a toggle switch, which i hear i common on these older boats, just got about 10 mins of use this summer til it took a dive, wondering if anyone else has this makeshift toggle switch deal going on

Attached Files:

8. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

What does the toggle switch do? If it's a bad neutral safety switch in the shift/throttle you could bypass it entirely or pick up a used shift throttle of your liking on ebay.

Also what outdrive do you have and what all needs rebuilding? Sometimes it's cheaper to pickup a used upper or lower in good condition or an SEI knockoff than paying to rebuild.

9. Fixin II

Fixin II New Member

Hi all,

I spent the past couple of years mechanically renovating a 1984 IMP X190 Cuddy. What a solid boat! The Admiral wanted a bigger cabin, so I've just bought an older Chris Craft. I can't believe I'm back at renovations again. I hate the idea of selling the X190.

I can't say enough good things about how these boats were built. I've had 30 ft Sea Ray's following in my wake through some choppy Lake Michigan water and they had a hard time keeping up. If you can find one of these boats, they are well worth the time to maintain a classic.

I've started some work on the Chris Craft. The hull and engines seem solid. Maybe I can sneak by with just some cosmetic work this time.

10. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Hey Fixin II. That's the same boat I have. Haven't had much time to get her out, and now my outdrive needs a little work (need to redo the tilt stuff). Sure do miss it though.

11. vinnieallin

vinnieallin Junior Member

been working on my so called 79 aztec witch its not its more like a 69 or 68. i took her out for the first time sunday she runs great and is the most stable 21 footer ive ever been on tight lines all

12. Fastvmax1

Fastvmax1 New Member

IMP x-223

Hello members,

I am the proud new owner of a 1983 x-223. I love the hull design but I can't seem to find much info at all(I have searched this forum extensively). I do not have a capacity plate. I would appreciate any information at all regarding this model. It is in very good shape and runs well, I would like to bring it back as close to factory as possible over the winter.

Thanks in advance.
    Rick

Attached Files:

13. FishBreath

FishBreath New Member

Question about Fuel Tank Capacity 1977 Inca Open Cuddy

Hey all

Just found this place, I've got the 23 Inca Open Cuddy from 1977. Wondering if anybody has an idea of original fuel tank capacity? Tank is mid deck approximately mid ship behind the seats on this model. Thanks!

14. moeller87

moeller87 New Member

the toggle switch puts the motor in forward and reverse, cause the diods in the shift handle itself went bad, the outdrive is a 235 omc stringer, i,ve looked and i may as well rebuild it for the price people want for those things

15. moeller87

moeller87 New Member

well while i'm waiting for my outdrive to get put together i picked up this little cherokee for
    $300 , i'm stoked, it needs the driver seat platform rebuilt, and has a little tear in the floor, but thats an easy winter project

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.