IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

2. CRB

CRB New Member

Crb

ED, Thanks for help. Transom is clean. I knew HIN # compliance was required on stb tras post 72. I thought they would whave put a # on them SOMEWHERE prior. Thanks again, CRB

3. MCRAMM

MCRAMM New Member

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1986 IMP Freedom x-245 and can not find any information on them. The boat is in great shape with it's original canvas and has a 350 Merc with alpha one outdrive. It needs a good cleaning but it is a very nice looking boat. I'll post pictures soon. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Chris

4. michiganboater

michiganboater New Member

1973 IMP for $1250 is Sold, thanks

5. aztecboater

aztecboater New Member

Hello michigan boater and former IMP owner. Thanks for letting me know. I wondered if you could contact the new owner and see if he is interested in contacting other IMP boat owners? It would be appreciated. Thanks
    Ros
    Aztecboater

6. 7277IMPAZTEC

7277IMPAZTEC New Member

Hello everyone, new here just thought I'd drop in after reading some fourm post and let everyone know I have a 72 and a 77 aztez and both are water worthy and my kids love them. Colors are gold on the 72 and brown on the 77. I will try and post pic's in afew days.

Anyone have rail parts for my 72? Where can I get a new seal for my sliding walk threw hatch?

Yes I need more so lets talk IMP...thanks 7277IMPAztex

7. Cyprus106

Cyprus106 Junior Member

Bought myself an IMP X215 BR last month

Last month I bought an X215 BR! I didn't know anything about Imps, (though I've been on a boat for a decade) but after checking out the condition, I figured it was a steal no matter what. I bought the boat with the trailer for less than $500.

Dropped in the water, she fired right up. The only thing I needed to keep it running consistently and acceptably was a fuel filter! It desperately needs a carb rebuild kit before any serious boating, and a tune up, oil replacement, etc... But for the price, I'm willing to live with a $20 carb kit :)

A lot needs reupholstering, I'm taking it to a guy tonight, and the ski cellar has no cover, but after falling into it a couple times you learn to step right on over! We're about to make one

The only three real problems are...
    1) The ski cellar drains, but stops at about an 1.5 inch water that won't. I ran a hose to unclog what I thought was the drain to the bilge, but it seems like it's just draining into the open hull! I get the idea this might be a common problem?
    2) The tilt motor is apparently kind of shot. When dropping the engine it comes down QUICK, and to lift it someone needs to be behind to to help it up or it doesn't have to juice to make it. the solenoid's clicking loudly when it drops. But the solenoid that's clicking is to start the engine, not for the motor. Anybody got any ideas on whats wrong there?
    3) And the prop is bent, and it's apparently a pretty rare prop to find.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Okay Cyprus...wow. Pretty cool! As my stepdad would say...TMB (Thatsa mah boat!). Well, somewhat. Mine is only 19', and a cuddy, but still.

Okay, now to the issues. 1) I've found that my "inner" bilge (under the main decking" is sealed as well. There's a little "stopper" type drain that allows the water to drain to the bilge. But it doesn't always work very well. It is a not so good design. But the rest of the boat is supposed to be built well enough to not rot like other boats would of the same design. Or so I am led to believe. So far I believe it.
    2) My outdrive drops very quickly also. VERY quickly. I've learned to "pop" the tilt button. It still slams down into position. The up though, yeah, that could be a problem. Mine comes up nicely also. But I do have to tie it up when transporting to the lake and back. It will drop on its own.
    3) The props on mine were beat to pieces when I got mine. I now have a very nice Stainless Steel, and keep the aluminum beaters for a spare.

Good luck getting her fixed up. If you don't have a manual, get one. It'll make things much easier on you. I managed to get a great deal on the factory manual from a guy who just got rid of his OMC. You can find them on E-Bay, but their getting very hard to find. Seloc and the other one will do, but not as good as the factory. Keep us posted!

9. 7277IMPAZTEC

7277IMPAZTEC New Member

Nice buy

Cyprus106, to your question on trim, try checking the wires at there connections. You my have 12 volts at you switch and only 6 or so at the solinoid and thus you will have a click but just not enough juice to get the job done. The old wire they uesd where to small and are now old and brittle and some of the original connection where cut to deep at the wire eye lets.

Nice buy on the boat, good luck and happy boating.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. Cyprus106

Cyprus106 Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the offending solenoid. Interestingly enough, the one that clicks very loudly when I press the tilt up button (which, is it backwards for anyone else? the down button is facing the bow for me...) is actually the soleniod that starts the motor.

I've been hard at work on the aesthetics. Took off all the wood trim, stained it and lacquered it. The ski cellar had no door (that was a fun discovery inspecting it late at night with no flashlight) so I took some one-bys, got my hands on a router and made me a surprisingly nice cover. Too bad the wood in the locker is rotted.... Buffed and waxed the paint back to it's shine and sent the seats off to be reupholstered and reinstalling the metal that had been ripped off and sitting around the cabin... We're quickly fixing mech. issues and I'm surprised at how nicely she's coming together!

So far the frontrunner for naming her is "Boatweiser". I AM from Saint Louis, after all :p

11. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

If I remember, I can look in my manual and see what the deal is with the tilt system. I think I actually copied those pages out for someone else, but can't remember for sure.

It will be interesting to see the progress of your boat. I hope you got some good before pictures, so we can see the amazing transformation to the after!

12. Cyprus106

Cyprus106 Junior Member

OMG any docs would be amazing, edjunior! btw, if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your boat?

Heh, good idea on the "before"s... I better do them tonight if I'm going to do them at all. I'm already quite a ways along towards the "after", though she still looks kinda like a mess. You should have seen it when I got it. I cleaned out about 50 beer cans, dozens of wasp nests, old bottles of suntan lotion, and layers of mold from every orifice you could think of!

13. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Well, actually, I traded my motorcycle and the trailer I hauled it on for the boat. Decided to change hobbies for a while. Just as the gas prices started shooting through the roof last year!

I started cleaning out the cuddy in mine when I got it home and noticed some mice had made a home up there during the time the guy had it stored. I found out a few minutes later that it was not a mouse...it was a huge freakin' rat! Just crawled out of the cuddy (almost over my feet), climbed up on the side of the boat, went out the back, and I never saw him again. I'm thinking he made one of our local owls a nice dinner!

And as I said above, you really need to find a manual for your engine/outdrive. The factory manual is best, but one of the others would be helpful in any event.

14. Cyprus106

Cyprus106 Junior Member

Wow, you bought a boat because gas was getting expensive? You're a braver man than I! I guess prices on the water aren't exactly the same in Texas as they are up here in Missouri! Just kidding, I get it. But it sure sounds funny if yours is anything like mine (it sure LOOKS the same!) I get something like 6 to the gallon.

I'm not even sure how to go about finding a manual? And my desperate search for the tilt stuff hasn't proved too terribly fruitful quite yet.

15. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Here is a Seloc: Seloc Ebay

Here is a Clymer: Clymer Ebay

I didn't see any Factory OMC manuals on there. The consensus seemds to be that neither of these is as good as the factory, but both together seem to make up for most of what's missing between either of the two (dang...did that make sense??).

Oh, and by the way, I didn't get the boat "because" gas was getting expensive...it was still around $2.40 (or so) then. But my timing was just bad. Get rid of a motorcycle that gets 50 mpg and get a boat that gets maybe 5 mpg...on a smooth lake! Oh well, sometimes you get lucky...sometimes you don't!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.