IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. boatsmith

boatsmith Junior Member

re IMP

I just had to gie up on a 1970 IMP rebuild/restore, just before final assembly over title issues. I do a lot of OMC repair wehre I live, ans it seems to be the most popular drive on the lake, and few people know, or are willing to work on them

2. oldtiger

oldtiger New Member

Boatsmith,
    That's a shame, I know you had to put a lot of hours and love into your project. Any hope of getting a clear title? Just start looking for another IMP, there are lots of them around. Good luck.

3. bearer

bearer New Member

Bought an Aztec a few weeks ago that had been donated to a charity because it would not start.

Turned out to be the screen at the fuel pickup tube was clogged with silicone. It looked like someone had used a lot of silicon on the fuel sending unit gasket and the excess had fallen into the tank. I am in the process of changing the non functional sending unit and replacing the electric fuel pump that was burned out.

Did a 73 come with an electric pump or was it only mechanical? I am guessing the mechanical is non functional and the pump is forcing fuel past the diaphram.

It was an experience pulling the access plate to the fuel tank off. The caulk was pretty solidified.

4. boatsmith

boatsmith Junior Member

re 73 imp

To my knowledge tha year used mechanical pumps. As to looking fo a ne IMP, maybe later, had 2 projects dropped in my lap this mont, a 1977 searay sdb 240(House on water), na d a 1975 glasspar cutlass open bow. The Ray needs and enine and oudrive, but would be worth restoring, unportunately I dont have the room, so i will probably part it out. The 75 glasspar urns, needs a water pump impeller, but the whold interior is in shambles due to over exposure to the sun. I plan on selling the engine I built for the Aztec, and using funds from that to aquire an upholstery sewing machine, and redo th glasspar's inteir my self, and maybe a new bussiness at the same time. If all goes well, I will be looking for an AZTEC, or INCA in the not so far future.

5. shoot_thebull

shoot_thebull New Member

1988 IMP Eleganza 255

I just purchased a 26' IMP Eleganza with twin 454 big block mercruiser motors with thru hull exhaust. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on adding a swim platform to the rear of this boat to make entering the boat easier after tubbing. Thanks for any help.

6. boatsmith

boatsmith Junior Member

re: Eleganza Swim platform

I prefer the side boarding ladder that the early Aztecs used, helps keep the person in the water totaly away from the outdrive. Having to hang it over, or stow it helped remind me to shut down during boarding/disembarking swimmers!! see attached photo, It used a thru deck bracket that the ladder post dropped into.

Attached Files:

7. shoot_thebull

shoot_thebull New Member

Thanks for the suggestion Boatsmith. That may be a better idea than the swim platform. My only problem with the side ladder option is this particular boat doesn't have a good place for ladder placement. i.e. see photo. I have always shut down my motor when loading or unloading passengers, just habit. Hopefully I will figure out the best solution for this. Thanks again. 2301_3.jpg

2a28_3.jpg

0f27_3.jpg

8. bearer

bearer New Member

I am having a frustrating problem replacing the fuel sending unit on the 73 Aztec. I pretested the new marine sending unit before I cut the length of the rod with the float (in specs) and also tested the ohm readings with the sender set loosly in the tank. (It measured 145 ohms). When I fastened it to the tank with the screws the reading dropped to 40 ohms. The reading was without the wires hooked up to the sender. I pulled it back out to double check the readings and it was in spec again. Refastened the unit, hooked up the black to the -- and the pink to the S side. Turned key on and 10 seconds later the key was hot and the # 3 fuse blew out. (ignition?) SFE 14A

I am guessing I have either a dead short or not enough of a ground to the tank.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

9. rs2k

rs2k Junior Member

Hello!

I just picked up my first I/O and it happens to be a 1973 IMP Pawnee with a Chevy 305. I'm looking forward to playing around with this boat. It seems to be well built. I've been doing a lot of work to it to get it ready for the lake. I'm drain the fuel tanks right now to put fresh fuel in them.

Does anyone know how much fuel this thing holds? The previous owner did not know. He just used one tank and put in a little at a time. He seemed to think it held 24 gallons but after looking at the location of the fuel tanks I think he may have meant 24 gallons per side.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

10. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Congrats on the boat rs2k. I'm not sure about the fuel either, but I would have to agree with you. I have not filled mine up yet, but have gotten it between 1/2 and 3/4 (starting with just less than 1/4 tank) adding approximately 20 gallons. That's telling me that mine is at least 40 gallons, probably more like 50 or 60. Mine's in an '84 X 190 SC (used to be called a Commanche) 19' Cuddy.

11. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

12. boatsmith

boatsmith Junior Member

re: Eleganza Swim platform

Looking at your boat, the side mount ladder would fit right between your drives, youd just have to remember to bring it inboard before starting the engines(you could also mount it on the bow!). I dont see that you have the room for a regular platform.
    Good luck
    Dave
    ps, the impboatclub will be returning as part of boatrebuilding.com in the next week or so, almost finished the testing phase now.
    I will be doing a complete floor replacement in a 75 glasspar this week, and posting it there.

13. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

14. tweissert

tweissert Junior Member

X-223

I purchased my first IMP a few months ago. It is a 1983 x-223. I have searched high and low for any information regarding manuals, replacement parts, etc. By chance you know where manuals, etc can be found, please let me know. I have spent the last two days reading the posts here and this looks as if it is a good source. I will attempt to upload a picture of it. If it is something other than an x-223, please let me know what you think it may be. So far, I'm very happy with it.

Thanks,
    Tom

Attached Files:

15. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Nice looking boat Tom. I have the 1984 X 190 SC. Little to no literature out there right now. Dave from the old IMPBOATCLUB site has some, but even he doesn't know what all he has yet. A lot of it seems to be from the earlier years, when they actually had names (Aztec, Inca, etc.,). On the spec plate inside mine (on the wall under the steering wheel), it is also referred to as a "Comanche", which was the name before they quit using the indian names. The "SC" in mine refers to "Super Cuddy", and of course the numbers are the length of the boat.

So what engine do you have in there? Any other details?

Here's just a very little more information about your boat. Very little:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...y=1983&ml=I&z=77357&gc=MR&gtc=MR&d=1600092239

Looks to be the 350 engine with 260 HP. Nice. Also, since there is no SC designation, I would assume they only made that model in cuddy cabins.

Welcome, and enjoy.

P.S. Dave will have the IMPBOATCLUB website up and running again soon, reincarnated as "BOATREBUILDING.COM". Stay tuned.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.