IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Emmett

Emmett Junior Member

1969IMP, I am in the middle of building an engine cover for my 1970 Aztec. I would like to see pics of the one you built if you don't mind. And did you replace the rear seal you're self? If so, any pointers, I will be replacing mine in the next few weeks as well.
    Thank you,
    Emmett

2. 1969imp

1969imp Junior Member

hi...sorry but due to lack of money i am not going to build a full cover but i have replaced most of the back to the original way... i have some pics of that if u (or anyone else)want to see if u need any ideas..

about the transom seal.... CAREFULLLLLLL!!!!! there is a lot of stuff that can get messed up.. i had mine put in and i sat there and watched the guy install it and it was way more work than i wanted to do. is yours a stringer outdrive?

3. Emmett

Emmett Junior Member

1969imp, I would like to see any pics you have. Always looking for other good ideas. My outdrive is OMC. Thanks, Emmett

4. 1969imp

1969imp Junior Member

i have posted some pics...here is the web site address. the two daylight pics are when i first started on the boat(not to bad considering i paid 300 for the boat with all the seats) and the night shot is the latest picture. let me know what u think..i just got done putting a nice 350 small block in it so i am waiting for lobster season to open up.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/1969impboat

5. jesinla

jesinla Junior Member

newbee with 1967 IMP Comanche

I just purchased a 1967 IMP Comanche. The engine needs work, but everything else is in good shape. We are replacing the dual carborators with a single carborator (replacing the intake manifold to accomplish this). I will end up with some parts. One of the carborators is fine, the other is missing a part but seems to be okay. If anyone is looking for parts let me know, they will be available in a week or so.

6. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Newbie Here

I am looking at an 18" IMP locally with a Merc inboard/outdrive.
    The boat has 592 hours on the hour meter. The interior is original and the only "flaw" is a torn seat bottom on the driver's seat.
    All wood is solid,and I can not find any soft spots in the glass.
    The problems are these: the trim and tilt is not fully functional and the neighbors tell me that the main seal for the outdrive was a leak problem.
    The boat is in an estate and I was asked to make an offer.
    I do not know the model, but it was built in 1972. The boat is tan on top and white on the bottom. It has a solid windshield and no walkthrough to the front. There is a tiny "cuddy" cabin in the front that is large enough to hold life jackets.
    Any suggestions as to a fair offer? The boat has been kept covered the entire time when it was not in the water. My main worry is $300 and up to replace the transom seal. Also, which model is this? Thanks! Jason

7. 1969imp

1969imp Junior Member

desotopit.. hi.. as u may know imps are worth some money.. my good friend just sold his 69 for 6500 and it needed a little paint work. but the good thing is, a lot of people dont realize there value.. i would start the offer low because you can always go up in price but you cant really work it down. if you look up in my last post you will see a link that i have with some pictures.. is this what the boat looks like? oh and about the transom seal...you can always do it yourself and it would cost about 100 dollars.. i did not do mine because i dont have the time to do something that time consuming. but like i said start the offer low..and if you have to you can work your way up.

8. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

newbie here

The boats are very similar. Thanks for the link to the shots!
    I could probably do the rear seal if I had a manual. I owned a 1957 Desoto for 11 years that I just sold. This should finance the boat purchase and any repairs.
    I like your engine and I need to learn more about the inboards. I am a Mopar guy and I am used to playing with the old hemi engines.

9. 1969imp

1969imp Junior Member

thanks..
    that is a nice type of car and hemis rock!!!!(but i am still a chevy guy)... do you happen to know the make and model of the outdrive? if you do i can give you some links to a few places that sell outdrive manuals. i personally like the inboard outboards a lot better.. if something breaks it is easy to fix etc etc. if you have ne more q's just let me know and i will try to help as much as i can.

10. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Ok,
    I may be showing that I always had outboards in the past (groan).
    This boat has a Mercruiser outdrive. I see from many other posts in the list that OMC seems to be popular, but in this area Mercruiser parts are still very available. I did check locally and I was told that the seal was not a problem to obtain.
    The former owner really loved his boat. He passed from cancer. When I took off the canvas boat cover (it was torn from the hurricanes down here),everything in the boat had another cover on it under the canvas one.
    When I took off the cover on the driver's seat, there was a handwritten diagram of all added wiring, where it went and what fuse it went to on the fuse block left on the seat.
    I really wanted this boat to ski my kids. I lost my oldest son to cancer over 2 years ago and needless to say our old boat was sold at that time.
    My two surviving children are 13 and 10. They have not been on the water since and I wanted a tank that was large enough to hold them and any friends that they may want to take out with them!
    One question if I may- Is there any way to convert 592 hours of use to milage on a car to compare engine wear?
    Jason

11. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

I have more information from the boat if someone can help me figure out the model or year of the boat.
    It has the 6 cylinder 165 HP Mercruiser inboard/outdrive.
    The boat serial number is K11801064 and the engine serial number is 2835939. The data plate says that it holds 8 persons or 1800 lbs. and the horsepower will not exceed 225.
    Can anyone identify the year or model from this information? Thanks again! Jason

12. 1969imp

1969imp Junior Member

one way you can convert the hours is figure the normal speed for crusing on the water is about 20-30.. now 100 hours at 30 mph should come out to around 3000 miles. that is the way i was always tought.. i am sure there are other ways but i am not aware of any other way. as far as the serial number.... i will do some looking tonight.

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

What you listed as the boat serial number is not the Hull Identification Number. If you look on the transom of the boat from the outside standing behind the boat, in the upper right hand corner of the transom there should be a 12 digit number. If there isn't one then the boat was made before 1972 or someone ground it out. But if it has a number there it will tell me what year it was made.

14. fishyman13

fishyman13 New Member

New Owner as well

Hi, I just purchased a 1988 IMP 200 Freedom bowrider. It is really sweet with a huge sundeck covering a 5.7 Mercruiser V8 with an Alpha One outdrive. It is in very, very good original shape and I love it. IF anyone knows something about power steering, I don't think mine is working. What steps or checks can I take before calling the mechanic? Any help is appreciated. The boat has been well maintained, but this problem bugs me as I know nothing about sterndrives or power steering on a boat. Thanks in advance. Bob O

15. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Ike,
    The boat is supposed to be a 1972 model but I cant verify that until I see the title. I cant get to the title at this time because the estate adminstrator is in Il , I and the boat are in Fl, and the title is locked in the house in Fl.
    I will look on the transom today while I am out there today!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.