IMOCA 60 lines plan

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Chris Cooper, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper New Member

For my final year project at Strathclyde University I am hoping carry out model tests on an Open 60 with an interceptor system fitted. Then to encorperate the resistance information into a VPP with the aim of generating correction factors for the use of the system.

Does anyone have or know how to access a lines plan for an Open 60?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper New Member

Doug thanks for the reply, I am looking at transom mounted interceptors,

chris

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I believe one of the latest Farr boats (or maybe the Humphreys?) tried an interceptor at the stern. There was a photo of it in Seahorse.

This is not to be confused with the Farr boat that had the articulating hull section aft.

Check Seahorse magazine for the details, then consult with the designer to see if there is any possibility to use his linesplan. I doubt you will get it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

5. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper New Member

Paul, it was the seahorse magazine I got the idea from! Originally I was hoping to run tests comparing the performance of the articulating hull section (or planing board) and the interceptor on the same model. Although due to a number of factors, including limited tank time I have opted to consider the interceptor alone. I have contacted some of the designers already but not had any luck. Will keep trying with others though.

Thanks for your reply

Chris

6. bobothehobo

bobothehobo Junior Member

Try Simon Rogers at Rogers Yacht Design. Artemis has interceptors and he is a nice fella.

7. mgpedersen

mgpedersen Junior Member

The HISWA Symposium in 2000 had a paper by Keuining titled "The Influence of the Bowshape on the performance of a sailing yacht" had a resistance analysis of an open 60 with both full and fine forward sections. You might want to see if that info is available from Keuning - it would be a good start for comparison since there is already tank test data available as a baseline.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.