Imagine sailing on a disc

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by DanishBagger, Apr 18, 2006.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yup, you heard right - I just had a discussion with a couple of flat-earthers! I didn't think those people even existed, but it turns out they do. No joke.

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Can you imagine what it would be like navigating like that? How even the vhf would have far more reach, and how you could point a laser beam from one (literal) corner of the earth to the other.

Hehe, as a little p.s. they claim that the moon is glowing by itself, and that both the moon and the sun is 32 miles in diameter. Isn't that swell?

Attached Files:

2. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Nuttier than a bag of peanuts ... :)

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Welll
    they got me believeing, guess I'll go and shave me mustache off then I'll stop being the 'safewalrus' and just be plain old 'safe'. Boring but safe - yeah OK:rolleyes: :p

4. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

flat or round ?

Flat and square moon soceity anyone? Nothing wrong with their believe..as long as that will make them happy..don't worry ..be happy..be extra carefull though while sailing..don't drop down from the edge..:)

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Yeah, and I had tea with sasquatch this afternoon.

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

I want to believe! But I don’t want to run the risk of some of the nasty things that could happen, as the disclaimer at the bottom of their home page points out.

7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I thought I was the loose one in the forum........ glad I am normal......:):):)

8. safewalrus

Welly of course your normal, who told you otherwise (so are flat earthers, honest)!

and this comes from the Walrus who's been known to do a few odd things in his life too!:rolleyes: :p :confused:

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Imagine sailing on a disc....

Of course you're normal Wellydeckhand...It's just that no-one likes you....:D

10. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Instigator! I'm telling Mom :p

11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Nutbar flat-earthers and adults behaving like grade-4 kids.... nice to have a bit of fun!:D

12. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Flat or spherical, we have to protect it from THIS!

Would you be upset if you knew that a substance particularly near and dear to our everyday lives was a known:

1. Contributor to global warming and the "Greenhouse Effect", and is, in fact, a major "greenhouse gas."

2. Is an "enabling component" of acid rain -- indeed, in the absence of sufficient quantities of this substance the problem of acid rain is completely eliminated.

3. Is known to exacerbate the negative effects of soil erosion.

4. Is present in nearly every creek, stream, pond, river, lake and reservoir in the U.S. and around the world.

5. Measurable levels of this material (an oxidation by-product of many industrial processes) have been verified in ice samples taken from both the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps.

6. Recent human exposures have lead to the loss of life and destruction of property in California, the Mid-West, the Philippines, and a number of islands in the Caribbean, to name just a few, yet our Government routinely suppresses the complete reporting of these and similar events.

7. As little as one cc can be fatal in a full grown man.

8. Can produce extreme nausea when diluted with ordinary salt.

9. Has been strongly associated with tumor development in:

* Hodgkin's Lymphoma,
    * Ewing's Tumor,
    * chondrosarcoma,
    * fibrosarcoma,
    * multiple myeloma,
    * colorectal cancer,
    * Leukemia,
    * basal cell carcinoma,
    * squamous cell carcinoma, and
    * malignant melanoma.

(All testing done in laboratory mice.)

That substance, known by the chemical name of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is so pervasive in our work places and homes that the odds are astronomically high that measurable levels can be detected RIGHT NOW in any one of your bodies. You really owe it to yourself to find out more about this dangerous substance.

Fortunately, you can. A web site has been established specifically to address these issues at http://dhmo.org.

I wish to personally thank the many contributors at dhmo.org for the information provided above.

Bill

13. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)- mean Water - Di mean 2 hydrogen and mono mean 1 oxygen= H2O= Water........ no peroxide so it is safe:D

WDH

14. safewalrus

But you should never drink it 'cos you know what fish do in it! :rolleyes: Other than that it does have it's uses (but according to my sons you MUST NEVER add soap to it!):D :p

15. hansp77

hansp77

just an interesting thing on this whole flat earth thing,

did everyone else get taught, like people in our country's school system and popular culture did, that Christopher Collumbus discovered and or proved that the world was not flat?

We certainly got taught this,
    and it was not until last year that I learnt otherwise.

Apparantly it is actually very hard to find any direct proof that anyone thought the world was flat.
    One of my professors at University has been historically searching for this proof, and has so far come up with nothing definitive.
    Apparantly the whole misconception originated from a book, I think written by Irving Wallace. While it was meant to be a propper biography, Wallace who was funded to reasearch it got sick of looking through dusty old books and records, so gave up on any attempt at truth and did what he did best, he just wrote a good tale, a fiction. Then this fiction seems to have survived throughout popular culture till today.

Some people apparantly did think that there would be an edge somewhere, that one might be able to fall off, but as far as flat, anyone who watched a ship sail off into the distance was clearly aware of the curvature of the earth.

It is kinda funny that there may just be more people now than in the near past that carry this belief.