vertical acceleration predection methods

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by meren, Mar 21, 2006.

1. meren

meren Junior Member

Hello! Anybody know good equations to predict vertical accelerations in a hard chine planing craft? I've done some preliminary design work for planing sportsfisher with Savitsky method. Now my intrest is to fit hull factors to meet ISO 2631/1 standrard for human endurance limits for vertical accelerations (in average wave height). Smooth rides!

2. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Look up Allen-Jones, Hoggard, Koelbel, The Small Craft CD from SNAME has a number of papers. It is a great subject to study have fun!!

3. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

How about “Planning Powerboat Design” by Lindsay Lord. It was published by Cornell Maritime Press.
    Robert Gainer

4. Rick Loheed

Rick Loheed Junior Member

Vertical Acceleration

Joe Koebel is a noted authority on that subject for certain, and I have had the pleasure to work on a project with him in the past. Fighting for appropriate calculation of design vertical acceleration has been one of his passions.

He wrote a great series of articles in 'Professional Boatbuilder' a few years back, I will see if I can find my copies and reference the correct issues.

5. Rick Loheed

Rick Loheed Junior Member

Joes Methods

Joes article, Part Two is in Professional Boatbuilder issue number 68, December/January 2001, page 32.

We are quite familiar with ISO 2631, having built ride controls to reduce motions in waves for all sorts of vessels for many many years.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.