I'm reading Marchaj's 'Seaworthiness" and have a dumb question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BillyDoc, Jun 22, 2005.

1. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

So far I think this is a superb book and recommend it highly! There is just one niggling thing that is bothering me . . .

How do you pronounce "Marchaj?"

The man deserves a proper pronunciation . . . and I can't seem to figure it out!

I know from pervious experience with Polish names that the pronunciation sometimes seems to have little relation to the letters used . . . at least for English speakers. Can you help?

Bill

2. Michael Chudy

Michael Chudy Yacht Designer

Those of us of Polish descent would say "Mar-kai" but with more of whisperiness to the ch, not quite the hard K. J is pronounced as the Y in English, in this case I think not the EE kind of Y, rather the long I kind of Y as in "Why". We would also roll the R. On the other hand my last name would have the Y pronounced as the EE as in Whee!

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Pronunciation - nope!

But a thought (totally irreverrant) if the guy wanted a pronoucable name don't you think h'ed have chosen one! Its a book for heavens sake the author can be called any damn thing he wants!

Look at some of the names on this forum alone! I am the Walrus! suits me, you know it and can identify me (?)

need I say more?

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Tony Marchaj pronounces his surname Mar-kai as Michael Chudy says. Although he lived in the U.K. since being leaving Poland in the 50's, after being imprisoned by both the Germans during the war and the Russians after the war, he is Polish born and raised.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Which has got what, precisely, to do with how the guy uses his name?

6. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Thanks everyone, Mar-kai it is!

I have been overseeing the re-roofing of my house for the last two days (finally, from hurricane Ivan) and so have had the pleasure of reading "Seaworthiness." I just finished it about an hour ago.

This is a great book! It has opened my eyes to many aspects of the sea and seaworthiness that I had no idea at all about.

For example: did you know you can get 20% lighter at the crest of a wave?

Or that "form stability" is the "lever by which the sea grabs you" (I'm paraphrasing here, and Marchaj is quoting W. Froude).

Or that the various rules (like IOR) have advanced the art of rule-cheating far more than the art of seaworthiness? And, in fact, many "modern" boats are downright dangerous?

OK, this last IS kind of obvious.

I had been thinking seriously of starting a twin-keel project before reading this book . . . and now I won't be doing that. I think I will be sticking with a long and deep keel, maybe a Schiel style, for now. But I have much more to read.

Anyway, "Mar-kai." Now I have two more of his books to read!

7. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

The point was that he is Polish and pronounces his name accordingly, unlike some Americans and British who are several generations removed from the country where their surnames originate, and as a result use quite different pronounciations.

8. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

How about this. It is simply good manners to at least try to pronounce someone’s name the correct way. If it actually is correct or not is not the important thing, it is the thought that counts.

In my opinion, Mr. Mar-kai really deserves respect and I am happy to take the small extra effort of trying to pronounce his name correctly. I believe those of us who has read his books would agree on this.

Mikey

9. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Exactly right, Mikey, which is why I asked in the first place. Out of respect. It's a very small price to pay, and one that makes our world very much more pleasant to be on.

10. cmagnan

cmagnan New Member

Marchaj Pronunciation

I have been told by a friend of his (who also has a Polish wife) that Marchaj is pronounced "Markai".

Regards,

Charles Magnan