I'm going to build my first boat(section)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lemans, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Lemans

Lemans Lemans

Par,

I will post construction drawings from the different sections. Yes, a thought about the concerns of linking the sections together. I think if I allow some movement due the use of flexible joints the connection will hold. About the ferro-cement bow, I will build a test plate (1m²) and try to do it “by the book.” Like to impregnate G4-epoxy on a second plate to test impact resistance and water-infiltration. I have the impression that steam-curing on a correct temperature is the key for a good construction.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Lemans,

I got a little involved with your ideas back when you were wondering about a container transport alternative to this...

[​IMG]

So, what ever happened with that? Anything?

I'm thinking nothing happened with that. But I really like the picture. And almost as much, I liked the problem you posed, but in the end, the picture is what's left, and I really like it. Thanks for that.

3. Lemans

Lemans Lemans

SamSam,

Well, if you look close....

Attached Files:

4. Lemans

Lemans Lemans

Concrete wire mesh bow, specific info.

Attached Files:

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What is the point of a concrete bow?

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

[​IMG]

Well, if I look close all I see are computer renderings. Computer renderings are just ideas, they are not plans, specific info or construction drawings whatsoever. Honestly, that doesn't seem like a practical or even workable idea. The reason for it is barely explainable, the mechanics of how it is to be done are a mystery. Why build a boat in eleven pieces that has to be assembled and then disassembled every time it's used?

7. Lemans

Lemans Lemans

PAR,

What is the point of a concrete bow?

I have 5 reasons

Building up experience with this kind of construction material.
    The exterior kitchen will find his place 'under the hood' - Gas stove / BBQ - fireproof
    Easy building of the complexed formed bow ( round edges )
    Counterweight for engine in stern section – gives me a high polar moment of inertia.
    Unconventional unloading situations – more impact resistance.

8. Lemans

Lemans Lemans

SamSam,

Computer renderings are modified CAD-drawings so they would look as real as possible.
    The drawings you refer to are just solids, no rendering at all.
    In my case, I'm just used to follow these steps, - idea - sketch - creation of solids (cad) - outlining connecting surfaces – drawing of details – extracting plans – plotting templates – start building.

The 'concrete wire mesh' drawing is a detailed drawing witch gives me the info what to expect in weight and costs.

I'm a total zero if it comes to boat-building. If I can come up with something usable , probably everybody else can too and this is what it it's all about. Starting with zero experience. The idea itself is about building multipurpose sections and freedom. The freedom of modifying/rebuilding sections in my workshop if necessary. The sections are small, easy transportable and can by stacked away almost everywhere.

Why would this be an unworkable and unpractical idea?
    If we talk about the River Traveler;
    These are 'float-alone' parts connected together. No performance-goals, just providing holiday living space for two and their bikes.
    Campsite movable by river or canal.

When we talk about the container transporter;
    The container is used as backbone for the floating parts. I believe the 20'ter being strong enough to hold everything in place.

9. Lemans

Lemans Lemans

@michael pierzga

“Oh and you might add some kinda tabernacled mast and boom to use as a crane for lifting gear on and off the boat and that doubles as a Boom tent cockpit rain cover.”

I have trouble visualizing that...sounds like a valuable tool.

10. seadreamer6

seadreamer6 Junior Member

You seem to be the kind of person that understands that a project like this may end up failing but you are ok with that. Finding out if you are right or wrong can be a great adventure.

I'm reminded of a quote I heard long ago...The greatest inventions in history were made by people that didn't know any better..

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

12. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

NOT A VALUBLE TOOL AT ALL !!A BOOM WITH A MOVING SWINGING LOAD WOULD BE THE QUICKEST WAY OF DROPPING EVERYTHING IN THE WATER AND SINKING THE BOAT AND DROWNING A FEW ALONG THE WAY !!!!:eek:

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Tunnels, haven't you ever seen a gin pole? It's a moving pole used to lift and yep, swing loads from one place to the next. I've used them to roll over boats, lift up boats, move things from deck to shore and vise a versa. Before you condemn something maybe a little research is in order. Gin poles where the very first cranes. Until recently, sailboats had their masts stepped and unstepped with them, not to mention used them for taking on and off loading supplies and gear. A tabernacle just makes them portable and is a logical development for them.

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

All boats need a crane.. You have motorbikes , 75kg ?, pretty heavy to be manhandling and you get grease all over your "going out for a beer" clothes.

Also in your part of the world summer only lasts two or three days then...chance of rain...so you need a good boom tent ... cockpit cover.... or you will be trapped down below for days.

since the jobs this crane will be performing are very lightweight a simple lightweight crane would do.

It could be the classic gin pole style like the oyster dredge boat.

Or the classic davit style crane on the yacht.

Davit style might be better because it is so simple and can be rigged and stepped in minutes. Gin poles have various control lines and more components.

I like the davit ... and it umbrella type cockpit cover.

Might be worth investigating .

Attached Files:

15. Lemans

Lemans Lemans

@ Michael Pierzga,

I'm a real fan of this design - 40 kg. (88 lbs)
    Yep, the world is changing. It would be nice to be able to unload this bikes where ever I like, definitely going to investigate your idea.

Must say that a 'long range' off-road weights about 130 kg.

Attached Files: