400 years of development in Spanish NA

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SeaSpark, May 6, 2007.

1. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

I recently visited the excellent "Museu Marítim de Barcelona" where one of the more modern designs caught my eye.

Most objects in the museum were very well described by signs, posters and the "audiotour", the item pictured last lacked any description (shame?). The stability enhancing devices mounted under the bottom of the vessel did not seem original, more an artistic addition by museum personnel.

There must be some story connected to this little boat. Perhaps our well respected Spanish member knows something more about it although he lives at the Atlantic coast.

About the first ship, The royal galley of Juan de Austria:
    I have been working on an article about free standing masts for the new wiki i hope to place it there soon.

1568.JPG 400yearsLater.JPG

1 person likes this.
  2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Ex Gibraltar guardship maybe? Before 'Smokey Joe' got the job - remember her Bergalia! 60's to 70's I'm sure the bugger was coal fired - the only ship in the Spanish Armada that actually went to sea!! entertained the Gibraltar garrison for hours!! Obviously not one of your engines Guillermo (and if it was would you admit it?!)

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

400 years of development...

I remember 'Smokey Joe' Walrus...but that's as far as I'm going to comment...It's taken me years to get Guillermo to talk to me and I'm not going to 'blow' it now....:(

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Attached Files:

5. safewalrus

yeah can understand that mate! But he's from North West Spain make a better class of Spaniard up there (nearly French see??? well OK maybe not!)

6. safewalrus

Aye Bergalia I can see why the Scots sided with the Zulu's both wear skirts and paint themselves and talk in outlandish tongues!

I always thought that when you said you wer on the Zulu you were referring to the steam frigate HMS Zulu (Tribal class) not some old sailing vessel - good as they were even your not that old (are yee??) So how was Victoria last time you met here then? fine I take it? was that before or after she met that German chappie?

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hush now Walrus - you know how touchy these foreign types are....

Am ignoring your Grockle-like jibes at my transvestism...But yes actually I was aboard both Nubian and Ashanti...Though we saw Zulu once off Hong Kong - being towed in for repairs....
    :D

8. safewalrus

But not at the same time I hope! Still I guess after that collection of vessels we can see why you are a "dark horse" (think about it!! steady in the rear!)

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Five years in the Royal Navy, old buck. My old dad's rule that before his three sons were allowed aboard the family trawlers they learned to "Bugger aboot on her wee shippies..."
    Remember the Nubian - the frigate which launched herself ? Apparently (before my time) she was on the slip and lady something or other gripped the bottle and swung it back...only to have Nubian slide gracefully into the water before the grasp was released. Champagne bottle gave imitation of 'one hand clapping'. Nubian was also one of the few RN ships to have shelled Portsmouth (only a blank alas - released 'by accident' during a public open day...) Lot's of brown trousers - public and crew....:D

10. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

free standing masts

Thanks for the Zulu i will put it in the wiki, already was going to use the Botter as an example of free standing masts on historic ships (my grandfather used to sail one). The botter was not designed but sort of evolved. The various fishing villages around the former zuiderzee in the center of Holland all had their specific version. In general the botters of the south-west coast were more narrow for better upwind performance in rough weather. North sea versions with more freeboard were also used. The aft most sail was only used in very light weather and flown freely from the top of the mast. The "boom" was a simple multi purpose pole leaning against a rib and floorboard. They were sailed by a crew of two (sometimes even one) on relatively sheltered waters.

Attached Files:

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Yes I know the 'botter' Seaspark. Clambered over one in the Caledonian Basin (Inverness) years back. Fat, ugly cumbersome things (that'll upset thse damn Dutchies....) Not even a proper keel just flappy things hanging over the side. (But pristine timberwork).Still she did make the journey north from Amsterdam without loss of crew.;)

12. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Celebration

To celebrate my comeback to the forum and mess this thread up even more here a picture of an airplane that makes me wonder why it takes so long for boats to lose their stays.

los artistas en tu país tienen un buen sence del humor

Attached Files:

13. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Medway

Did i mention "Raid on the Medway"?

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Not just artists, Seaspark, but anyone on this forum need a sense of humour. But your picture reminds me of my old dad and the aircraft he and his brothers built way back before even manned flight...(I've rambled on about it elsewhere in these forums) Just the rotary Gnome engine is lacking.:)

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Medway is Walrus' area of expertise...I'll let him respond to that...:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.