Money for a boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Boats cost money, lots of it mostly. Its said that selling a boat is the most difficult and most expensive item a person could buy possibly now today costing more than the house you live in

Firstly ypu need to find someone with enough money to spare to buy a boat he will not need and cant use to go to work with or go shopping. The boat will need to meet the expectations of an investment we are so often told it is.

All this plus the unwanted need for maintenance and mooring fees etc.

In the light of the financial melt down all over the world and particularly in Europe this weekend I really feel that a boat is becoming a white elephant that all but a few can not afford.

I would say 30% of boats in my marina in Malaysia are for sale, yet surprisingly sell quite quickly escapees of Europe America and Russia.

Even with optimism turned up full I can only see extremely difficult times for the boat industry with or without Greeces entry or departure from the European Union with its plans to pull back to credit.

British banks have been re primed with 80billion this weekend -- This will not be for buying boats.

2. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Go back to being producers and savers, works every time.

3. yipster

yipster designer

bank directors usualy leave soon after beeing "saved" with multimillion handshakes
    i know that aint much in a crumbling finacial world but housing they regularly allready have
    so i imagine they be spending it on something else, could be on some real nice new boats you know

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

It's a buyer's market right now as we all know, my boat has dropped from a million+ new in 2005,to $400k in 2009 and now some are advertised for $200k+. Luckily I bought it lightly used at a good discount.
    Which is a steal-a luxury floating condo with all the amenities,when tiny condos in DT Vancouver with no view go for $500k.

The price drop doesn't bother me,I've had the time of my life in the prime of my life with my boat/friends/family/girl friends and you can't put a price on that.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The financial melt down is travelling the world slowly. Some places are beating thier chest thinking that are smart and have dodged it. Not so its just that it hasnt go to you yet.
    New Zealand is in a confidence crisis caused by the lack of confidence in curing the European crisis, many boats are built there along with Austrailia.

Confidence is difficult to repair and arguably takes a generation.

6. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Dockage, storage, maintenance, and time are as much factors as the cost of a midrange boat now. Yachts will continue to be for the successful. Between the yacht market and the small trailerable boat market is going to be more difficult for many years than in the heyday.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I wasnt making a comparison of hay day and a successful boat company , more of bankruptcies and irreversible closures along with trends of owning a boat and even specific areas of boat building gone forever.