V hull Fiber glass boat Estimating

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mauant5, Nov 2, 2015.

1. mauant5

mauant5 Junior Member

Hi all,

I am starting into boat building and am interested in making a fiberglass boat (center consoles type like Contender, etc etc).

I need some help in getting the estimates correct. I don't know if this is by weight, displacement. I'm looking for a price per unit to make the estimate easier to work on.

Any suggestions or any boat estimating template where I could pinpoint my start would be very helpful

Thanks!

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The weight can be calculated fairly close by this method.

A typical FRP laminate weighs 1 lb per square foot for every 1/8th" of thickness.

Boats of similar sizes can be very different in weight though, so until you decide on how you want to build it, then pay someone to work out all the details, there's no way to say what the weight or cost would be.

The cost of materials can vary a great deal too, so that's another thing you need to work on before you find an answer.

You could always look at the hull weight of a similar boat and if they built it in the same way you want to it may be close.

3. mauant5

mauant5 Junior Member

im thinking a deep v hull made of composite, length 30', beam 9'6". I already know what motor I would be putting on it. A 30' boat that has some similar features (Scout boat) weights 7,160 pounds. so let's say mine would wight the same. the cost is 90% based on the composite $/pound?

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The cost of resin can vary from $0.98 per lb to $5.00 per lb

The fabric cost could be from $0.85 to $3.00 per lb, go with Carbon and it could be $35.00 per lb

Glass to resin ratio could vary from 30% glass, 70% resin, to almost the exact opposite depending on the methods used.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.