if boats have twist and flex is that a good thing or a bad thing ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

will the boats stay in one piece or fall apart ?? how long could it last ?? :idea::confused:

Most people panic when they have stress cracks usually and take it as its a sign of weakness usually or so its thought.

so is flex a good thing or a bad thing and is it a fault of the builder , the designer or both that the boat has movement ???

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It's a bad thing if they break ! Haven't seen much benefit from flexible welded alloy boats, usually ends in cracked welds.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

we are talking glass boats !! some glass will take lots bending but for how long ?? :idea:

4. Mr Efficiency

We are ? :eek: They will bend for ever and a day without cracking, unless limits are exceeded, and that need happen just once. Different to metal, where there can be a cumulative effect. I have had glass fishing rods that have bent a million times until the day you hook up to a passing tree, then, finis. :p

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

You're a good fisherman then........... All I seem to do is fatten them up for some one else to catch:)...... once I hooked up a monster..... fought it for maybe 5-10 minutes & discovered I had hooked the bottom & was Fighting the swell:eek::eek:

Jeff.

6. Mr Efficiency

I can beat that story, I once rowed a dinghy on a very dark night for a good five minutes, till I realised the anchor hadn't been lifted.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The Vikings thought it was great to have twist and flex and they were some of the best fastest boats the world has ever seen !! and that was in the
    pre-Americas cup days !!:eek:

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You no sooner said 'we are talking glass boats !!' and you're off about wooden Viking boats.

I have an inflatable dingy with all kinds of twist and flex, depending on how much air is in it.

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

and the ride if it soft is ?? what ??
    and if it hard is it better of worse ???

soft in a chop is sloppy !! and without a solid floor can fold up on you :mad:
    hard in the same chop is bouncy !!:confused:

10. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

All boats of any size over say 20ft and of any material flex and twist. Some materials less than others, but they all flex and twist.

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

12. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I say beneficial as long as structural limits are OK.

As above, I have a racing catamaran style inflatable and the large amount of flex gives it a nice ride.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Ok you are right but is it a good thing or a bad thing in your mind ?? what if you made boats that twisted more and flexed more ! what would be the end result ??
    I posted 3 threads all dealing with the same subject just different parts of it !!:confused:

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Thank you !! at last some one that understands first hand what its all about can you add any more to your story for the non believers I am trying to scare off there couch's and make them sit up and take notice :eek::p

large amount of flex gives it a nice ride !!!
    that's really interesting to hear that from some one , I had a similar experience and yes the flexing of the boat was really interesting to observe and watch peoples reactions to it ! once it was realised this was normal looks of apprehension turned to smiles and they even enjoyed the sensation !

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member