Idlewild Expedition

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Pericles, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

2. Carioca

Carioca Junior Member

I spent a hour or two yesterday looking through this very enterprising undertaking. Thanks for bringing it to our notice !

What I could not understand is why they first veered West (towards Alaska and the Bering Strait) then East again - back on the same route ? - before making their pasage through the upper reaches of the Arctic Ocean and finally into the Atlantic.

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Haven't go to that bit yet, but I'm going to guess seasonal sea ice.

Pericles

4. Carioca

Carioca Junior Member

You could be right there. Had not occurred to me.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks for the post and sites Pericles.
    Now in my favourites for further reading...

Have given recently so herewith a token of my appreciation (doubles)::::::::::
    :D

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

They went west first so that when they came across the Pacific a year later they could connect the circle (around the world) at Pt. Barrow Alaska. The voyage was a stunt and apparently they didn't really enjoy the boating part. They finished in August 2006, the boat has since sat ashore for sale in Vancouver, only $500k, silly price considering there is no market for this boat.

Tad

1 person likes this.
  7. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Last I saw, it was $400k. I think there is a market -- just not a mass market. I like the boat -- I'm waiting for some interior pictures. I would then have to calculate the cost of a new build to compare (What's your guess?).

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Sheet....

There are far, far more boats for sale currently than buyers seriously interested. Thus it is a buyers market, the bargains will move, the others will languish. Idlewild was still listed at 500k 6-8 months ago. Cutting the price by 20% shows something of the market interest. People who think they can sell a custom boat (from a relatively unknown builder) for what they have invested are mistaken.

She is a very small boat for her length. For the same or less money you can buy far more accommodation. The engine has many hours on it. I know her initial cost (ex-builder) was less than $400k, but she was incomplete.

A 30,000 boat, built to the lowest finish level, (no paint or fairing, crude interior) will take at least 8000 man hours to complete. 8000 hours at $65 is $520k in labour alone, before buying materials. New cost never compares to one "that's been driven off the lot".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.