While the snow flies...

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Feb 2, 2010.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Starting on this tomorrow...5.5 ft long, 250+ lbs dispacement and 22lbs or so for the bare hull. Just something to keep me busy until I can get back to working on my Sailing Scow when the weather warms up. I can still get this up the stairs and out of the basement and I am antsy to build SOMETHING...I feel useless if I don't have curing epoxy somewhere. I have 5 sheets of 5' x 5' 3mm and an 8 x 4' sheet of 5 mm laying around so I might as well use them for something. This should take up 1 sheet of 3mm and the whole sheet of 5mm but I might sub some thicker stuff and save the scraps of the 5mm for something else. I call it Tadpole

[​IMG]

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3/4 the dimensions and hang it on davits. It would make a great baby's cradle.

3. lewisboats

I could do that...you expecting??? :D

4. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Nope, but I am. This is exactly what I need and now is exactly when I need it. Thanks. Now I need a breakdown davit system as I have to ship the whole thing. This is great! :)

5. lewisboats

Um...you need the offsets to do the 3/4 thing? If so I'll post them tomorrow. Scaled it comes to about 4.125 ft (49.5") LOA by 2.5 ft Beam and a "draft" of 4.25". Built of 3mm ply all around...say 17 lbs with some nice mahog trimmings. A 4"x4" with a good base on each end and you are good to go. Cedar fence posts are a nice smelling option. As a 'real' boat it could float 100 lbs with no problems.

6. hoytedow

Not yet. It would be a great thing for some bride's or groom's father to build for his future grandchildren.

7. lewisboats

Now that you mention it...I have a 21 YOA daughter and a 19 YOA son...I expect a Grand-something withing the next 5-10 years or so...hopefully!

8. hoytedow

Better get crackin'!

9. lewisboats

I think I'll do the full sized version first...just to test it out you see... I have at least 10 months to work on the other...hopefully a bit more :rolleyes:

10. hoytedow

After the first one, it takes 9 months.:p

11. lewisboats

Seeing as there is no 1st in sight...I'll go for 10 mo. and hope for more...but less than 5 years. That is a nice comfortable range I would say....

12. hoytedow

Collapsible davits shouldn't be too difficult either, laminated for cross-grain strength. Wouldn't want the cradle to come down, baby and all, would we?

13. lewisboats

Panel Offsets

Here are the panel offsets for the cradle/Crib. Spacing of the gray station lines is 6" and I did the transom 2 ways (frankly I prefer the alternate way myself). The number that is obscured at the chine edge of the bottom panel is 1.0 feet even...I don't quite know how that happened but there you go. Remember the dimensions do not take into account for materials thickness so you will have to adjust for that when you layout and cut the panels. I usually draw then as specified then draw the thickness reductions inside the lines...for example I would draw the transom as shown then reduce the sides and bottom by the thickness of the relative panels and then cut it out.

Attached Files:

14. lewisboats

Minor delay to the start but we're off! Lay out of the panels started today after a couple days of working late and the replacement of a vanished batten. Menards has/had Irwin QuickClamps on sale for $2 ea so I bought 20 of them. They don't clamp very tight but they don't mar things easily either. You can never have too many clamps/cramps.
    One thing that really sucks...I have to scarf or butt about a foot to each side piece...they are just shy of 6 ft and the 3 mm I have is only 5 ft long. Such is my life...the niggly little impediments never let up :(

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hey Lewis,
    What's with you and Manie with the bath tubs :D
    Come on make something decent won't you ?

We want to be proud of you, not sympathise with you :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.