Idiot posts cluttering up the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by tansails, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

That's exactly what insulting people have been doing lately. Thinking themselves are the greatest, the funiest and the cleverest...and so trying to shut up and throw off the forums women, knowledgedable people, beginners, NA's and other infrahuman species....

Yeap!

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

What does "NA" mean?

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

New Adamastor...? :p
    Sorry. If you are asking seriously: Naval Architects.

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hehe, embarrassingly enough, I was asking seriously :p

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

When we used to have internet surf now in this forum could turn into internet serf...... meaning slave like being with no right to forum time....... heh sorry those under GUEST title.........( that's what elitist feel...... like somesort of superior human..... with better cash or knowledge?)

Well I say peace........ the forum need it anyway......... The forum have given me courage to do dream with professional attitute....... hope it stay within me, but if I slip dont whack me just PM will do.

WDH

6. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

The problem with words like elitist, is that it is ascribing motive to people you don't even know. The reason that people say things that you INTERPRET as elitism may be wholly different than you think. You may be wrong about their motive. Yet you are setting yourself up as the arbiter of what is elitist. You might consider whether that is fair.

Calling people an idiot is actually saying that you know what their capacity is and that it is very low. Definitely an insult.

I agree that voluntary associations may not be well served by having several rules-oriented members force everyone else into their rule sets, but I also think that setting yourself up as the arbiter of elitism, idiocy or any negative quality is a mistake. It just creates hostility. If you disagree with a persons viewpoint, just describe the reasons why. No need to call them a derogatory name.

3 people like this.
  7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Since when is that ascribing motive any more than it is a simple analysis based on how people act, their arguments, and what they want this place to be. Or rather, what they don't want in here. That one speaks for itself, and it's pretty obvious what is meant. Call that ascribing motives all you want, it doesn't change the facts about what they want, and/or what this place will become if they get their will.

But just like I implied with my analogy to germany pre-wwII, you can do that based on acts. It doesn't matter if I know them, to tell if the acts are elitist, or that it will result in an elitist place.

When did I call people idiots? And if you think of that as an analogy, then howcome, as that has nothing to do with your argument that I somehow judge them based on motive. Since when is calling someone an idjit, considering "interpreting motive"?

The latter part of you post. Well, what can I say, it seems to be based on the forementioned premises. The circular ones I argued against in my previous one, and the new, unfounded, "analogies" of the latest of yours.

However, I will say this. Calling an act what it comes out as, and what the act describes, is hardly calling people names, or being derogatory. I am not the one wanting to be an exclusive club (i.e. and elitist place), I am for the opposite, so don't try to argue that it is somehow me that must be wanting this to be exclusive, because I'm somehow the elitist, because I actually put a word on their behaviour.

You can continue to make your circular argument, that calling intolerance intolerant, is an act of intolerance however much you will, because it doesn't make it so.

And, as I have already said, I _have_ explained the reasons why I disagree with the people that want this to be exclusive.

8. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I forgot to mention something: You have got to be kidding me, when you say that whatever I interpret, I interpret (not a typo). Has it really come down to you arguing against the people that want this to be a place for everyone, by way of semantics? You're seriously trying to argue against the form or frame of the discussion, instead of what is actually in the picture, so to speak.

And, oh, yes, that is also an interpretation, as is everything I read, write, hear, or otherwise sense or are being subjected to, and so is yours. Semantics.

Edit:
    Come to think of it, did you even notice the title of this thread? Splendid isn't it? I can now see where you got your analogy from [shakes head]

9. Wellydeckhand

Kiss and make up( boy that i want to see)

take deep breath and laugh....... peace man...... nobody imply anything this is just a discussion about idiot post doesnt mean WE r idiot right?

Attached Files:

10. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Idiot's

Sorry everyone... Didn't mean to call ANYONE an idiot. Forgiveness please.

Was just trying to make a point. No matter what one's intelect or background is, something can be learned by someone, somewhere from someone, somewhere else. Everyone on this forum doesn't have to be a boat designer or builder to be able to contribute. And, let's face it, this is just like any other conversation between a group of people... one comment leads to another, and then one thing is said about [this] which triggers something to be said about [that] and so on and so on, and eventually the conversation appears to be misguided. :idea:

See where I'm going... This is the natural course for an active conversation to follow.

Would like to see people get along.

I have a question about putting my 17' plywood boat in the water (when the time comes). Is anyone interested in hearing my question or should I start a new thread ???

VKRUE

11. Wellydeckhand

Start a new thread..... u r a good guy, shouldnt apologies for telling your view,.......... this special thread to exploit on forum ego trip and principle,..... I think....... Like Mary we love discussion and probing of oneselfness what ever it mean.

Attached Files:

12. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

A new topic deserves a new thread.

13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

About this being an elitist forum, among other boat forums, I guess it is.

This is not a forum just about boats, it is a forum mainly about BOAT DESIGN.

Everybody can talk about boats, but people that have real and substantial knowledge about boat design are few and of course they are an elite, they are the ones that have most of the knowledge and the practice.

So I guess that there are two different types of guys around, those that are professionals (a small number) and the others (I am one of the others). Of course, everybody can learn and contribute in a positive way and there are even some guys who don't have a job in this area that know a lot about boats and boat's design (not me).

The fact that this forum, being elitist by its specific subject, accepts the unrestricted contributions of everybody (at the same level), makes this forum as liberal as it can be.

It is up to the members to understand the specifics of this forum and the different levels of knowledge that its members share. For my part, not being a design professional in this area, I am very satisfied that I can modestly participate and learn a lot in the process. :cool:

2 people like this.
  14. Wellydeckhand

Sailor pride or just the invention of GPS design

The Proffesional Designer can make dream but not evryone of them test it or go wet with it. A sailor on the other hand might not design it but sure know when to bail out of bad design.

It is a matter........ does design live on itself or on other component as well? The Lux Yacht is symbol of human craze for freedom and continual of design make it more perfect........ but real money ( bread and butter) still from trade, cargo, utility, shipping, fishing and other non leasuire yacht.

Many company went bankcrupt because thinking there will be unlimited rise in deman for lux yacht.( Broker is the one that feed on both side)

Attached Files:

15. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hey a question for everybody?

Has anybody seem anything of our old friend "Tanned Horse", last seen on page four? or has he just stirred up the hornets nest and departed?

would seem plausable!:rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

< Frank Mighetto Poll | Deleating Emails >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.