Idiot posts cluttering up the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by tansails, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I hope that's not true - please give us some time to get things repointed before making a decision.

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Your attitude is exactly the kind of problem here.

3. tonydignity

tonydignity Junior Member

Cyber Bullying

http://www.mirror.co.uk/

Pages 4 and 5 are dedicated to the story of Cyber bullies,as well as kicking off on the front page today.
    So what constitutes Cyber Bullying?.

4. tonydignity

5. tonydignity

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, acting elitist is a form of bullying.

7. trouty

trouty Guest

I would contend the same

I would contend exactly the same Guillermo - some Johnny come lately, holier than thou, attempt to elevate your status by bringing someone else down, in order to make yourself look bigger! :rolleyes:

I typical 'little man' syndrome! ;)

It's why you gained the elevated status of the very first to get on my 'blocked list' - because I truly believe, you are so intellectually impared, as to have nothing worthwhile to post, that I could wish to read, and it is why - you so remain, aspermanenetly blocked as from this moment on!

Perhaps it's your culture or something - to me I'd sooner not have anything to do with you!

Thats what I like so much about the "blocked" feature - you should try it sometime!;)

People who contribute little and whine a lot are a waste of my time and effort, thats why I put them on the blocked list!

It works for me - I like the feature alot!

I also happen to like serious discussions, on the other forums - and swapping a little light hearted banter with the rest of the fellows here in the open discussion forum to let off steam when the anal retentiveness of the "professional" twaddle all gets a little too much to take, out on the main boards!

You know - if some of the whiners put as much effort into new threads topics, and actually answering or attempting to answer the questions newbys here post (instead of treating them like intelectual leppers) a few more might actually choose to stay and participate / contribute!.

I think the problem here is overfamiliarity.

Vega - no need to apologise - I wasn't offended.

Everyones entitled to their opinion and to post it - you see thats the difference - some people think I shouldn't be entitled to express mine!:mad:

Thats when the hackles go up and I spray!;)

I don't stop anyone saying anything - have I ever complained to you Jeff about any post ever?

Do I whine to the moderator or hit the little triangle symbol to call a teacher to break up a school yard fight?

Nope - I live 'n let live - thats my motto - but some of you behave as though you are still in school for goodness sakes! (Who knows maybe some of you are!).

It's as though someone always has to have the last word...every thread has to be wrung out until there is a winner and loser!

Well - to me we are all the losers for that type of attitude!

And - this is my last word on this subject!:)

Cheers!
    P.s - go to www.joecartoon.com. Look at the gerbil video cartoon...and find out whats meant by pansy azzed buttmunchers! ;)
    Some of you need to take a good look at yourselves IMHO

Heres a taster from Joecartoon!

Attached Files:

8. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Hey Trouty

Come on, Mate... You can get it together better than the last few postings. I've seen you do it, so I know it's in there.

Truth is, there's much to be admired in your positions, but it's the way you express them that makes you seem outside the acceptable norms for a discussion group.

I'm not oppsed to your poilitics, Mate, just your written mannerisms. I'm not asking you to become something you are not, just that you recognize that there are all sorts of civility issues on a forum of this type that encompass a lot of different cultures. When you slam one issue too hard, you are bound to be slamming the sensitivity of another. You can make your point, kindly, and then move on to better places.

If you could just tone it down a bit, then there wouldn't be so much fur flying in the air. This isn't a place in time where you are going to effect change in a global, political manner. All of us are aware of the issues of what is going on in the world and you might be surprised to discover that many of your fellow forum posters share your views, politically. I, for one, don't feel that those political views have much traction on a forum of this type and I ask you to refrain from posting the opinions you have to that end.

Your experience with boats is what I am after in the grand exchange and I'd like very much if you could please leave out the political commentary and save it for another place, at another time.

That would go a long way to making things better here. Well, that and the personal humility of sending an apology when it is deserved.

What do you say, Trouty... Is kindness and good will a part of your personal interest in the name of a better forum?

Your friend,

Chris

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I could not agree more.

Referring to politics, it is clear that you are an idealist and want to change the world for better and that is good, but the way you provoke other people with strong words and farfetched political analogies (even if they ring true), and sometimes insults, have the opposite effect. Nobody is going to listen to what a shouting and aggressive man is saying. They just say to themselves that nothing good can come from an exalted man.

So if you want to contribute to change the world, and want to change the way some other people perceive reality, stop shouting and change your attitude, not you, just learn how to be more efficient...... but don’t forget that reality and truth have many faces and change with the eyes of the beholder. The only ones that have an absolute and positive certainty about their perceived reality are the Fascist, the hard line communists and all the other fundamentalists (Islamics, terrorists ,etc)...so take care, try to respect and understand other views and other cultures and you will see that is going to also change yourself, making you a better man (only the very dumb don’t change).

Too much political talk, but that’s just because you seem to put politics ahead of everything and this is a Boat Forum. The main focus should be on boats. I agree that in the end everything has political ramifications (politics are the way we act to change reality), but that is in the end. Many times so much in the end that it is completely absurd to talk about politics on many boat related issues. With you, politics seem to come always first. That is bad, even for the ones that think (like me) that you can not segregate any human activity from politics, because someday people are going to be fed up and say...no more politics on this forum and no more Trouty. And that is a shame.

Your friend

Vega

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Actually, I, for one, don't think like that. I can't see anger there at all. I can see indignation, but that is a good thing in my opinion.

I don't get it why so many people are so quick to jump to conclusions and then as soon that is done, a judgement is made. A judgement from where there is no escape, because the mere opposition is considered to be in line with, and a confirmation of the presumption that all this is anger.

Sorry, but I make a living of being "professionally indignated", and I consider it a good thing, thereby I, and everyone else that also get indignated may see the bigger picture, instead of going "this or that is not accepted, and this or that is a sure sign of x or y", when all that is, is an easy, simple way to view the world.

It's like saying that using socalled "swear" words are a sign of less than average intelligence. Well, everyone can learn to parrot an academic, or talk like a sailor, it's the way those words are used that makes it interesting.

And, frankly, I prefer sailors to academics. Both literally and metaphorically (ignore that I have an academic education - I had to do find a job where I wasn't supposed to use my back and feet too much).

Edit: I do feel very awkward having this discussion - I'm one of the newbies that aren't supposed to say "shyte", but sit back in awe, and let you Auld Fellas of the Site take the lead, but the thing is, I _did think the world of this site, and now so many of you guys (m/f) act like so little people.

11. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Come to think of it, based on the suggestions of having newbies merely post in the general area, that would mean I couldn't have made my thread about Molly. To me that would have been an awful shame, and I like to think that as the project progresses, and more text and pics are added that someone else might benefit from that thread.

If not, I could have simply asked questions one by one in the general area, being told I could not ask those questions there, and then go figure it all out myself, resulting in me adding absolutely zilch to this forum, directly or indirectly.

12. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

Come on kids, ten minutes break.... each one to his corner...
    Seems the problem of misunderstandings (& other facts...) here might be the different cultures of any one of you (us). Please take care that in some (many) cases, not all of us manage english as main language, so, what we write may differ fron what we are trying to say, even between native english language people from different sites of the world, are there a lot of different ways to write an idea, some of them might be misunderstood by others...

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Sentiments to which I am sure we would all agree.

Human society needs rules to function. Rules that allow participation but curb the antisocial side.

There is no suggestion that the forum become elitist, just responsible and polite. Humour and some banter can coincide with genteel behaviour.

The forum has always been about sharing information; everyone benefits from the queries and the answers and sometimes the ensuing arguments.

When it comes to the arguments some passion needs to be allowed in debate but personal insults should not be tolerated nor do we need foul langauge. Posts should be on the topic of the discussion and not just chat to another member.

Other forums such as the metal boat society are strictly moderated and tend to lose a certain ambience also a huge amount of work for the moderators.

Jeff
    We do need a solution... go carefully....good luck!

14. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

we have all vented I hope , we have all been part ( in some way ) of running off members,we all have jobs that ,on days are is good and others bad. I myself ,am a powerlinman,its a high stress job.men who I consider brothers ,,,,,die every month. we lose 3 lineneman a month. so sometimes I vent louder than others.I love to talk about boats because no one else around me does . I dont have a lot to offer ,exept the part of my life as a comercial fisherman, I try to be factual and give only first hand info.im a fairly decent shade tree mecanic. I am also a journeyman millwrite and jouneyman utility machinest,and a combat veteran (nicoragua and honduras) im guilty of adding to the pain of this site , but lets look at what we are doing to arselfs,we are tearing each other apart. walrus ,he is an old dude who probably has more time at sea than 10 of us ,welly lives on a river ,,,,probably knows more about river boats than most of us,,,,,I have not had indept conversation with bergalia....my loss.and as for par we may as well have thrown our computers into the streets.these are real people with much to offer , sometimes you cant see the forest because the trees were in the way,,,,,,,longliner

15. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

great avatar with the bear trouthy....... must be u in disguese

< Frank Mighetto Poll | Deleating Emails >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.