Idiot posts cluttering up the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by tansails, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trouty

trouty Guest

Frank Discussions & cultural differences!

I find it highly presumptious, to believe that anyone can impose their particular ideals of behaviour, on other cultures, in an international forum.

Of course the objections comming largely from those of a nation that attempted to "democratise" Iraq with Depleted Uranium bombs - I guess we sould not expect much better!:rolleyes:

Maybe there is some merit in levels of participation.

Maybe some forums SHOULD have different standards to others!

The facts are their are measures folks can take to "keep the board" how they wish to percieve it without presuming to enfore their particular ideals on others!

If other features are added that give greater flexibility to do that, then well and good!

This is the place for "frank" discussions about such issues.

The panty wads even complain about that!

This is NOT some 'eltitist' boat design forum for selected credentialed contributors - in fact I have no doubt they could probably afford the $ to host their own elitist site with those particular attributes if they so wished and keep the unwashed multitudes like me out!

Instead they wish to belly ache and moan here because it isn't how they like it and they want it different!

Grow up is my advice!

Tis a big ol world out there full of peoples from all races creeds and backgrounds.

All that they may have in common, is an interest in boat design!

That is all this site, by definition, requires!

However - As I have already proven once, being politically correct here is an impossibility - the thread on that aspect proved it beyind doubt IMHO!

This - comming of course from the nation - who
    :rolleyes:

The dismantling of everything that made America great is what I am witnessing here!

Is it any wonder your constitution is in tatters, and your bill of rights is now a bill of 'no rights!':rolleyes:

Aquiescing to the childish demands of the loud few here, is just another step on the path to hypocrisy for your nation!

America frankly needs to grow up and take a look at how others perceive it!

It has never been held in such low regard as it is now - and the attempts of a few here to change others to fit their particular ideals / or mould - is NOT productive for a free interchange of ideas.

That is the beauty of the internet - people are free to participate or not - to block, ignore or be selective in which manner they participate!

There will always be those who leave for whatever reason - that is their prerogative and right to, so choose!

They choose to do so - no one else drives them away. It is unfair to blame ANYONE for driving folks away!

I recieve just as many emails and PM's each day suggesting folks agree with me and asking me to stay etc etc.

I could care less what the panty wads post - just add em to the blocked list and get on with it! It aint so hard once you ge used to it!

Cheers!

2. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I dont think it is about America Trouty......... Rome fell in parliment when everybody think of stabbing the Bos...... Ceaser. Just imagine what knife icy word can do to people who cant ingore or too thin skin.

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

It's no wonder; it's the republican fascist party at work- wink wink.

THE RULES

1. No politics.

2. No disruptive joking/BANTER.

I see the above rules as a community attempt to keep/make/build this site into a professional level website, or at least one narrowly focused on boats and boating.

I respect the above rules, and ask the hucksters to get on board. I also suggest that if mayhem were to erupt, it be done in an organized manner, in a dedicated General Discussion/Off-Topic thread others can stay away from if they choose to.

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Are you saying that you exercise no control over the actions of guests in your home? If a guest offends you in your home are they welcome to stay?

A simple example of how someone can impose their bias on an international forum is the choice of language. In here it choice is English, or some version of it. :)

This forum is privately owned, the owner can make and enforce any rules they like. None of us has any "rights" past what we are given by the owner. This ain't a free society, it's benevolent dictatorship. Just like your home.

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hmm

This thread makes me wonder how elitist this place really is?

I'm serious, it seems there should be no room for anyone not living up to specific perceived "professional rules of behaviour".

Why _not_ applaud this as a difference in culture, instead of trying to make everything the same?

The entire thread exudes elitism, and it makes me wonder if the same people that think that wally and welly et al shouldn't be here, think that I too should go, since I am not a pro, don't design boats and are merely a builder of my first (and hopefully only) boat, only so they/you can have these forums to yourself, a closed club.

6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

An example of bad taste

Danish Bagger,

Of course, you can leave if you want to. Personally, I would understand the motivation for such a move. I would hope that you reconsider before doing so.

Here's a grouping of examples from a recent post that make one shudder with the lack of civility being expressed, as well as the limited use of the language in rough and abusive tone,

"Of why i keep people like that idiot <moderator removed> on my blocked list - so I don't have to read his diatribe!

Yasee - any of thos offended folks - had only to do what I do - block the azzwipes they don't wanna read!

Pansy azzed butt munchers!

The worlds full a panty wads these days!

Belong to a country that bombs innocent women and kids to death in Iraq over weapons of mass dissapearance, creating another "Iraqnam" then presume to lecture the rest of the world about civil behaviour!

I could care less what the <moderator removed> of this world think!

Far as I'm concerned we are better off without em!

There'd be a lot less dead inocent women and kids, around who might actually have turned out to be worth listening too someday had they lived and not been bombed to death as "collateral damage by those who presume to espouse politically correct speech on a web board!"

Yes, these are excerpted component elements from one person's, single rant from earlier in this thread. It would be far easier to reign-in the folks who choose to use the language in this fashion along with their, less than civil philosophical ideas, than it would to recreate a discussion forum for responsible gentleman as yourself. Please reconsider the efforts of our moderator and owner, Jeff, in the near future as a move in the right direction to the end you seek.

Chris

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I don't always use SpellCheck, please don't kick me out.;)

8. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

True, that seems a bit over the top, and I agree that the examples you have provided doesn't fall into what I consider "in good taste". However that doesn't change the notion that all of this seems quite a bit elitist.

With regards to this quote:

Obviously the "death" is not to be taken literally, and the essense of that statement seems to be "if the elite, or the "moral majority" shuts down people that aren't like them, there would have been more diversity. And that for the better". And that I whole heartedly agree with.

Yet, I do know that I carry no weight here, but it all smacks of elitism of the worst kind to me.

About me leaving, just to make things clear, I'm not threatening to leave (lol, what a threat!), but it has me wondering if the people in this thread (including you, as the thread starter), want people like me to leave too, just as you (as in "you guys") want the other ones to leave.

If you ("you guys") are of that opinion, please don't hesitate to send the people you want to leave private messages so we know that we aren't welcome here.

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Yes I agree with you. Civility and good manners as well as respect for the other (even if we do not agree with him) are necessary in a productive forum and should be enforced. Members should not insult other members or feel they are insulted by others.

Some other similar examples of unacceptable behavior, in my opinion worst than the ones you have quoted, because Trouty had called idiot to a specific member (completely unacceptable anyway) and these others posters insulted other members without naming exactly whom they were addressing to:

“The idiot posters”…

“I've learned an enormous amount from the very people that you slack-mouthed ******** have driven away.”

If you pricks can't say something constructive, then **** OFF

“….. Trouty, there was a time when I had this startling impression of your thought process... and then you started to speak.”

In my opinion this forum does need some rules to prevent that useful technical threads to be cluttered with noise. I also believe that there are many ways to say the same thing and the ones that need to slander or insult other people to make their point are just using a way that should not be allowed in this forum.

It looks that some rules are also necessary to prevent that.

10. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Agreed

Yes, Vega, you are correct in your assessment.

To that end, I apologize to Trouty for the use of the phrase, " Trouty, there was a time when I had this startling impression of your thought process... and then you started to speak.”

Not necessary to make my point.

11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

You have a big soul. Not many people would have the courage to acknowledge a mistake. I am impressed:cool:

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Vega, if that was pointed in my direction (the long one), then all I can say is that I'm definately not against having rules. It's the way things are handled. And being "polite" or not using "foul" language is not an end-all method. One can be as rude as a sailor, yet talk like an academic.

13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

:confused: No, I did not point anything in your direction:p ...and I agree with you that there are many ways to be rude...and sometimes some misunderstandings.
    By the way, I am a sailor...are you calling me rude?:p

14. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

hehe, no, not at all. just like the expression "to swear like a sailor" :p

15. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

this is an interesting thread, even though I'm as guilty of spraying as some others. In the bigining of this thread I guess I'm out. I don't design or build boat at this time so I would guess that I'm not welcome. So I would guess that this will be my last posting here on this site. It's been nice guys and thanks for the info and humor you have given me.

< Frank Mighetto Poll | Deleating Emails >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.