Idiot posts cluttering up the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by tansails, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Not all of us Yanks are *******.;)

2. tansails

tansails Junior Member

To the detractors before.

No single moderator can effectively police the forum, the single moderator you know as Jeff relies on reports from users for intervention. Aluding to houses is very emotional but not logical, this is not the moderators house this is an open relatively self-regulating public forum on BOAT DESIGN . If you are at another persons house with a crowd there is a social effect which stops the individuals acting boorishly, there is no such inhibition in an online forum.

Already many better people have gone away. If all the Architects and Engineers go away to other forums then what do you have left? By encouraging the idiot posters the threads fill up with their effluent . This is a recent phenomena, and where do you think it will stop if people do not speak out.

It is very apparent that these people look for posts by another in their gang and then enter that thread with their childish playground humor.

The idiot posters have been very rude to many people, they have no propriety this is selfish behaviour. Where re their manners?

In describing them what language am I supposed to use ? If I write a bland inoffensive critique do you think it would even be noticed?

Shall I now go through the thousands of posts by the idiot posters and dredge up every offensive insulting post so you can see it with your own eyes? Perhaps you can go and look at it yourself. There are many.

We need to ask just what sort of forum is wanted and perhaps have a code of conduct which keeps the group of selfish posters out of threads which do not relate to them, in other-words they need their own threads that people can seek out if they want.

Consider that what you may tolerate or find humorous that others find vile and offensive this is the case in any public meeting place. To allude to turning off an offensive TV show is not the same that means going to another TV show, this is not an option if the show is the only one relative to what you desire and the show is live and you are in the show.

This is my view, there are I know many who contact me directly who think the same but they are shy to post their support directly because of the bullying tactics by the idiot posters and their support network.

Their behavior which you would have us all tolerate will lead to more and more idiotic postings until the forum chokes in their output. They need an online chat room not a boat design forum.

The post by Trouty sums up the attitude.

Thankyou
    MB

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Ok - I've been nice 'till now, but to hear that PAR has gone - along with a number of other knowledgeable folk - doesn't just upset me. It REALL PISSES ME OFF:mad:
    I came across this forum in 2001. I've made 1460 posts - as many as almost any other member here. In that respect at least, I believe I'm qualified to speak up on this issue.
    I've learned an enormous amount from the very people that you slack-mouthed ******** have driven away. They've taught me as much as I've gleaned from 5 years of formal yacht design study.

Apolgies in advance Jeff but -

If you pricks can't say something constructive, then **** OFF

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Jeff - feel free to delete that last line once the relevant people have read it....

5. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

No, I think that last line sums it up and should stay. I also have had it with this and want to see a change.
    Robert Gainer

6. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

I think it is exactly on point. Someone pays the bill for the storage space and bandwidth. They pay the bills, they are the only ones to have a say on content and conduct.

Do you seriously think you could stop Jeff from pulling the plug? It is his house, he could close the door in 10 seconds and there is not a damn thing we could do about it.

This is not a public park where the users have a say in what goes on. This is a private forum, open to the public through the goodness of someones heart. We, as users have no say.

When Jeff gets tired of people fighting and name calling in his house, he will close the door. Starting this thread did nothing more than to add to the noise.

There is a mechanism to report posts to the moderator. Starting a thread and whinging is not it. Talk to the moderator in private, offer you services as a forum cop. If Jeff wants change all he has to do is ask.

We, as guests in Jeff's house are in no position to tell him how to run his party.

This forum owes us nothing, we have no say.

7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Maybe some people once in a while would lend thread or still young in the forum may not understand the feeling for other members that post knowledgable thread and would want scientific content only. We have seem gone through polling on wheather political issue be drag on board to non avail.

My point is why not pull idiotic post form future thread and relinked them to thread that labelled under ( POST OFFENDER ) and let the shame run itself? If u all get my meaning.

Sorry, I do enjoy reading various topic in the forum and I cherish the people that contribute and make this forum work. I for one is not chasing senior post fame or attention. Maybe cultural difference and believe may have cause misunderstand on what is surposed to be need........ Culture Shock maybe......

I find it easy not ingore anybody but that me........ thicker skin . But I understand the forum when i see a cluster of doctor or lawyer, they tend to stay to themselve proffesional but ingnore the fact that a lot of small people make it work including the juries from all walk of life. Now is the forum wanting the so call jury out and do the forum full professional way? You can lock the forum and block all viewing that would settle all problem.

Thanks for letting me see a different view of others belief Tansail.

:):):)

8. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

It is true that I pay for the server and bandwidth, but at the same time the forum does in fact owe you all collectively a great deal. A server with forum software and a world of bandwidth is worth very little without valuable people willing to share their knowledge and ideas - without all of you, it would simply be an empty shell.

As far as change, I do think something must be done as I am very sad to have lost a handful of our most valuable posters in the last few weeks who felt the forum has become too unprofessional, topics have too often been dragged off topic, and the environment has become too hostile or childish. I realize humor has it's place, but not when it ruins a serious discussion or makes others feel uncomfortable. I'm looking to reach a decision next week as to how to best approach this problem. (I do feel that every day there is substantial new content added, so I do not feel it is a crisis yet, but I do feel something must be done very soon to point the forums in the right direction and hopefully to win back some of those valued posters who have left in recent weeks.)

9. tonydignity

tonydignity Junior Member

Wreckage

Thank you Jeff for a wise and just leadership in this debate.
    May I add my agreement to every comment you have made./Tony

10. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Expert..idiot..govern and clearance

Good move Jeff:!: .I do come from a very strict and tightly govern environment.. being rude is not tolerable in a lot of situation, being light and breezee is something that attracted me to this forum:) .I know very well how dry can an oleo chemical forum or hydrocarbon processing or Fludised Catalytic Cracking, or my beloved subject Instrument Protection Function and Reliability Centered Maintenance is..I love them..real dry..not a shred of humor..:) Frankly I never expected that kind of dryness to be in the group that love the water..I'm proven wrong:rolleyes: .Board meeting in high turbulance situation are lot more humble compared to comments of boating expert..!:D

11. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I think most complaints are about off-topic or completely non-substantive posts. It's disappointing to get an email that someone has replied to your query to find only a joke and no information at all.

12. tonydignity

tonydignity Junior Member

Booze Cruising

Right on . Off topic replies are nothing if not irritating and disrespectful.to the dedication I find with almost all my fellow contributors.
    Booze cruising,the threads detracts from a worthwhile opportunity to share our combined experiences.

13. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

I'm happy that you see it that way. :)

It is hard work to build up a user/member base to fill that empty shell of software. Now that internet forums have taken the place of the BBS's of the 80's the sheer number of people that have access to a forum is staggering. For there to be order on an internet forum you have to restrict access to those that you know (or can qualify) or you have to spend time moderating.

One reason that there is a problem is that the expected behaviour is not spelled out clearly or often. Believe it or not, Huns, children, and forum members LIKE rules. Having standards for conduct tells the tribe that the chief cares about what they do. If you expect the Huns to show self discipline, you must be ready to enforce your standards. That may mean moderating with a heavier hand that you would like at first, but in little time those that add value to the forum will still be here and the others will not.

As far as professionalism goes. I'm a professional in the Marine Industry, but not as a designer. I value the ability to read and post here. All you have to do is lay down the law and all of us that want to see the forum continue will snap to and make it so.

14. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I'll second that on RHough but including baning of smilely if we all wanna get serious and sober..................

Black is a colour - Christian Dior

15. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

And not all of us ******* are Yanks :) !!!

< Frank Mighetto Poll | Deleating Emails >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.