Idiot posts cluttering up the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by tansails, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Friends, I have a grave suspicion that the last posting signed by Wellydeckhand is a fake. He has been replaced by someone behind that rubber mask. His alleged last posting was written with passion, understanding and with a deep vein of commonsense, and not the strange mutterings of the Wellydeckhand we have some to know and accept over the past several months. Jeff should investigate.

However, there is one clue that it might be the genuine article - his reference to Walrus being 'Cute'... :D :D

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Often posts are made without thought or knowledge of the subject. If you have a decent discussion going on a serious subject and suddenly 3 or 4 people (and always the same 3 or 4 people) start posting to each other with slapstick comedy it can be annoying to wade through the pages looking for the next follow-up post in the thread.

To set the ignore poster option would mean any decent input from these fellows would be missed too, and they have contributed intelligently in some threads.

Also remember when you post that the global search engines link to the thread titles and the forum is a reference for all.

There is room for humour in the posts and the forum would be dry indeed without it, but bear in mind that the 4 or 5 post mindless exchanges in the middle of a thread do tend to drag on.

3. tansails

tansails Junior Member

Your argument is specious. Your thought is poor.

I was not posting in the middle of someone elses thread saying thoughtless unrelated things for the sake of it.

I am genuinely concerned that the Forum is going downhill fast and that good worthhile contributors are going away beacause of the idiots that use the threads as a chat group.

Why cannot the posters be a little more thoughtfull and less ridiculous. There are good facilities for vulgar and boorish behaviour but they are not in the middle of a thread that they did not start and have no interest in.

They have turned people away with their selfish behaviour a New Zealander says Hello first time and Bergalia goes on intimating that they have sex with sheep ! Is this sensible ......? Then all the stupid drinking boasts ....Is this sensible ? It belongs not in these threads but in a chat room where it is not recorded for posterity.

Also consider this http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5804&page=6

Quote: Originally Posted by trouty
    ...Course 'Cactus Kate' showed up for all of 5 minutes....before the whiff of my testosterone got her all uppitty and she shot thru! ...

Not only Kate, but Leo Lazauskas too. Just see Kate's thread and you'll find him saying goodby. And it's a real pity as he was a really knowledgeable man who had posted most interesting contributions. I wrote him and he told me he was no longer interested in participating in a Forum were people were more concerned with their own bizarre personalities than in sharing useful information, after your most clever posts at that thread... Thanks a lot, Trouty.

Anyone Just go back through the posts by the idiot posters and read what they have written, then think whether I am being cruel.

I have yet to hear an argument other than an insult from the idiot posters, as tpo why they think the idiot posting is good.

Please stop it, go away and find somewhere else. A private room in a chatgroup is a good place for you.

M B

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Electric forums are very similar to live forums. They are self policing. If what is allowed in a forum offends someone, what is the logical course of action? Accept the forum as it is (you have to assume it is the way it is because the members like it that way), or try to change it to suit your ideas?

If you don't like the conversation in the member's bar at the yacht club, are you going to whinge about it or join another club?

If posters get out of line, and break a rule of the forum it is up to the moderator or owner of the forum to control it. I'll have to assume that you are not the moderator or the owner, if you were there would be no reason for this thread (that had to be moved to the correct forum since it was started in the wrong place).

Every forum I've ever participated in has a self-appointed, self-righteous person that doesn't like the tone of some of the other posters and feels that the world should change to suit them. It is not like this is the only forum that discusses boat design. We all have choices. The moderator sets the standard.

If you are a guest in someones home, and find one of the other guests offensive what to you do? Do you address the other guests and chastise the "offenders"? do you whinge to the host about the other guests? Or do you leave?

Sheesh.

I agree we should all play nice. We should be civil. However when that doesn't happen, I know exactly what I can do about it. I know where the exit is.

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pissed because it was a young persons thread that got out of hand, had it been a regular thread ,,,,,,,,with adults I wouldnt have cared,ive read through tansails threads and you have critizieds others for not having any edifiying info to the threads. you sir have nothing to add!not from expiriance ,or a tecknical point .we have lost some vaulable members that ,,,,,, break up the monatomy, if you dont like it here,,,maybe you sould leave,,,,,,longliner

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Guillermo. You were kind enough to express an interest in the progress of my 'floating coffin'. The project is now complete and afloat (and not yet sunk). Yet another 'Snafu' (all my vessels except one have been a Snafu - it's been a lucky name - this is the seventh I've built, all around the 30 - 40 foot mark.)
    Snafu seven was something of an experiment - a personal challenge to use only (apart from the fastenings) salvaged materials. Even the power plant - a small Volvo Penta 3-cylinder - was acquired as three boxes of bits (bought from the owner of a recently foundered yacht). Main motive power is by my own version of a sprit sail (the canvas from three military tents ($5 Australian from the local Vincent De Paul charity shop.) Much timber, as I told you came from village hall floor boards, other pieces from the local tip and demolition yards. Metal work salavaged from the same yard and reworked (machining, welding etc) by me.
    The odd looking 'cuddy' (I'm using it for fishing and lobster creeling) has a windscreen salvaged from a defunct Morris Mini (including windscreen wipers). Also from the same Mini, the starter motor and dynamo.
    In brief, excluding my time (and I'm cheap) total cost for this 35 foot vessel was $700 Australian dollars. Maybe not pretty beyond the eye of the owner - but built to last.
    Anyway, just thought I'd let you see the end result before I sign off. (Postal Idiot leaving the ship/forum). Take care. Yours aye, Max (bergalia)

Attached Files:

7. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

A few more thoughts about this subject. First of all, Tansail makes a good point, but maybe falls into the same trap that he is criticizing. I don't think it is really the humorous posts that are getting people to leave. It is the posts which are (intentionally or not) personal insults. For instance, calling people idiots. I don't think Bergalia should be castigated or driven from the forum for making a few off-color remarks. He is always friendly and mostly respectful of others. Just because people seem like idiots sometimes does not make them idiots. People have differents senses of humor. Chasing humor off the forum is definitely not desirable.

The problem, as demonstrated by this thread, is that no one likes to be attacked, belittled or insulted. The result is that they go away (which reduces the richness of the forum) or they escalate the attacks as you can see starting to happen here. It is built into us - "fight or flight". But we are also reasoning animals, so a third way is available. Let's treat each other with respect and good will. Maybe we can demonstrate sanity in an insane world!!

By the way Bergalia, nice boat for 700 clams!

8. tonydignity

tonydignity Junior Member

Behaviour

Everyone to my mind in this group is unique,and some people shout louder for attention.
    I personaly find much of the inputs most rewarding.and the priveledge of being allowed to express my views I am grateful for.
    If my opinions are disagreed with it only adds to the richness of the process.I have the greatest respect for everyones opinion,and would not dream of calling someone an idiot.
    Why ,!because it would be aggressive and disruptive.It was only last weekend on UK TV I saw a new internet directive which makes it legal to outlaw,all slanderous written content,and you can now find yourself the target of a lawsuit .
    Im not saying anyone on this site would be so juvinile as to slap a writ on you for alleging they are "Quote "Idiots". What I am saying is it is now possible!.A word to the wise should I say.
    So now may I humbly suggest we get back to the absorbing task of exchanging ideas and friendship . and by a vote of sanity outlaw disruptive behaviour.thank you all

9. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I agree. Bergalia is a nice guy who posts interesting contributions and also humorous posts. He doesn't insult people as others use to do quite often.

I agree again.

And nice way of building her. Third agreement.

10. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I totally agree.

Now do you think (even if it assists some merit in your diatribe) that this is a sensible way of publicly talking of another fellow Forum member? You can think what you want about everybody, but please, keep it to yourself.

If you consider Mr Walrus rude, what do you think of your behavior?

I would say that if sometimes the Walrus, in his rude manner, can make me smile, I don't see in you the least shred of humor, and that is a sad thing.

Walrus, come back and behave yourself. Make me smile without insulting the rest of the world...and try not to piss out of the right threads, I mean out of the "threads (that will be) recorded for posterity". :p :p :p

Bergalia I would love to see your spirit among the mist of our youngsters (I am also a teacher). Your (nice) boat, with recovered materials is a lesson in the art of living. If you were closer I would ask you to give some teaching at my school...I bet the kids would love and would learn a lot with you. :cool:

11. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

I recently learned that the guy that has worked on my boat several times, new mast and rig being the latest thing, was PAR. I emailed him last week and he's also not contrubituting to the forum any more for the same reasons as stated by others. I have enjoyed his posts and the members list shows he has made many. Another victim to those that wish they had a microphone from which to spew.

12. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I have lots of opinions about the posts on this forum. The reason I don't reply more often is because I don't want to be one of the idiots here. I don't want to be one of the people that gets ripped for not totally understanding what the elitist are talking about. Sometimes it's just safer to read.

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I think the critics should also note that there is a little used forum area called "Boat Building" which is a more "how to do" than main section called Boat Design which tends to involve more theory than practice.

Link:
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

The class clown type acts are best enjoyed in the
    Open Discussion
    area in my opinion. Light hearted, non-distracting livery should be accepted in any of the forums, but in moderation of course. The offenders if they exist, should take this thread as a "notice" of their peers (the self moderation of peer presure).

14. trouty

trouty Guest

Just proves my point!

Of why i keep people like that idiot <moderator removed> on my blocked list - so I don't have to read his diatribe!

Easey solution - just add tansales to the list!;)

Yasee - any of thos offended folks - had only to do what I do - block the azzwipes they don't wanna read!

Now if a few of em had done that with me - they wouldn't a had to go and leave - if they are so thin skinned they can't block someone and get on with enjoying themselves here - then they are too thick to be worth keeping as members IMHO!

One wonders how in heck they get on in the real world!:rolleyes:

Live n let live people - of Catcus Kate wants to get uppitty and shoot thru then let her - and if Leo wants to take his bat n ball and gohome - let him!

Won't worry me, likely as not they are already on my ignore list!:D

Pansy azzed butt munchers!:p

The worlds full a panty wads these days!

Belong to a country that bombs innocent women and kids to death in Iraq over weapons of mass dissapearance, creating another "Iraqnam" then presume to lecture the rest of the world about civil behaviour! :p :p

Hey...get a life people!

I could care less what the <moderator removed> of this world think!

Far as I'm concerned we are better off without em! ;)

Thered be a lot less dead inocent women and kids, around who might actually have turned out to be worth listening too someday had they lived and not been bombed to death as "collateral damage by those who presume to espouse politically correct speech on a web board!

I think I've seen it all - down here we call it hypocrisy!

Sheesh and they wonder why we poke fun at the yanks!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers!

15. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

HoooWee what a guy!

Gosh Trouty, there was a time when I had this startling impression of your thought process... and then you started to speak.

It's no wonder that critical thinking has taken a right turn on the International roadmap when folks can publish this sort of stuff and call it coherent. Please get in touch with the nearest, university level English department. They have classes for the stuff you missed in grade school.

More like a patchwork quilt of unfounded ideas compounded by a drifting, anchor free, philosophy. Now, that's what I call dialed-in, my boy. And the use of the mother tongue is delightful in its breadth of expression.

Your devoted friend,

Chris

< Frank Mighetto Poll | Deleating Emails >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.