Identifying jet drive

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Tonka, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Tonka

Tonka New Member

Hi all
    I was wondering if anybody would be able to help in identifying my jet drive.

I have been told it is a Berkeley STYLE unit, but not a berkeley unit.

It sits in the water nice but at around 2500rpm it is only doing about 10 kph
    then if you put more throttle into it the revs hit about 5500rpm and the boat does not move. It sounds like the impellor is cavitating or something. The previous owner had the jet unit rebuilt in january.

The motor is a 351 cleveland.The boat is a 18.5 fibreglass bayrunner made in the 80s.

Also does anyone know if there is a gearbox you can attach to this set up.

I have only just bought this boat and is my first jet boat, any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

If that is a Berkeley jet made in California then it was made before I was born across the bay. (1942)

3. Tonka

Tonka New Member

Berkeley style jet so a copy of one is what i was told, and someone in Melbourne Australia may have been making them

4. Ski Jet

Ski Jet New Member

It's been a long time but just checking whether you identified your jet and what you did with it?
    This is a Ski Jet, manufactured in Springvale, Victoria circa 1970's.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd imagine anyone calling their product a Ski Jet today would face a court battle to have it registered !

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member

It might be a Dowty. I had seen a Dowty in about 1971 prox and it had a square steering nozzle housing with the same type of additional vertical fins in the stream. But cannot be sure.
    Why do you want to attach a gear box to it?

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Sounds like the impeller is shot. Replace it. It simply isn't pumping any water.

8. MarkAnton877

MarkAnton877 New Member

Hey guys: I am currently trying to resto a ski boat with the identical jet drive system also with a 351 clevo infront of it: desperately chasing information on it to try and get it back on the water. Have done some reasearch off this thread and cannot find anything on the said “Ski Jet”. many help would be appreciated’

9. MarkAnton877

MarkAnton877 New Member

Here are some photos

Attached Files:

10. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.