Unidentified Van De Stadt?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Indevolatile, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Indevolatile

Indevolatile New Member

I registered here just to ask this question, because half of the searches I've done seem to lead back here, and it seems to be the place to ask about obscure designs.

I'm in the market for a small steel cruiser, and I've located one with a somewhat uncertain origin. The present owner refers to it as a "Vandestadt 32" built in 1970. He's owned it since 1984, and says that it was brought over from Holland in the 70's. Owner reported specs are thus:
    Length:32"
    Beam: 10.5"
    Draft: 5"
    Displacement and ballast are unknown.

I emailed info@stadtdesign.com with the below photos in hopes of getting a design number or other additional info, and received the following reply:

Dear Nathan,

This boat is not a Van de Stadt design, to my opinion.

Best regards,

Van de Stadt Design
    Cees van Tongeren

Pr. Irenelaan 42 - 1911 HW Uitgeest - Netherlands
    Tel.: +31 (0)653249157

It certainly does look like a typical Dutch design of the era, albeit with a single chine hull, and I was hoping it might look familiar to someone here. WandelaarKitteryJune2917-3-1024x664.jpg WandelaarOnStands-3-1024x683.jpg

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

There is certainly some resemblance and VDS designs in steel from that era..
    Maybe they now try to divorce old school?
    My guess would be a "Dogger" in single chine steel- some are ply with a soft chine or maybe a Zeevalk/Seahorse adaptation similar It's a Seahorse!(Van De Stadt that is)... opinions please. https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/its-a-seahorse-van-de-stadt-that-is-opinions-please.11173/ that Hans used to post on here, many variations with amateur construction/completion possible.
    Jeff.
    upload_2017-9-9_14-29-40.png

3. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

I had a 'Vanguard' built by D-Klein (I think it may have been a Koopmans design, but not sure) which was a very similar shape but smaller (8.5m) but I know they were made in different sizes. Could maybe be one of those?
    I owned the Vanguard for about 8 years and sold it to a friend who still has it. It was a solid little boat that sailed surprisingly well and felt seaworthy, though it would have been better with more buoyancy aft. I have been in quite a few similar type boats and most (like my Vanguard) have deep inaccessible box keels that are not capped and tend to corrode though it isn't a difficult repair.
    A quick trawl through the Dutch boat sales may throw up some ideas?
    ≥ Kajuitzeilboten en Zeiljachten | Staal | 9 tot 12 meter - Marktplaats.nl https://www.marktplaats.nl/z/watersport-en-boten/kajuitzeilboten-en-zeiljachten.html?categoryId=985&attributes=S%2C3517&attributes=S%2C8293&startDateFrom=always

4. Indevolatile

Indevolatile New Member

The Dogger and Seahorse designs both seem to have a fin keel, while this one is a longer keel with an attached rudder, similar to the Trintels.

What I've been able to find on the Vanguard by Klein, it seems like a possible candidate. Apparently there were three earlier Vanguards, at 8.5m, 9.5m, and 10.5m. These first three were designed by in-house engineers Eckert and Bot, and were available as a kit for home-building. Later Vanguards, starting with the Vanguard 950, were apparently designed by Koopmans. http://www.projectoozoo.nl/geschiedenis.html

5. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

That's good research!
    I like these small steel boats. They do rust but are reasonably simple to repair and often a bit of rust looks much worse than it actually is.

6. Indevolatile

Indevolatile New Member

I like them too! But they're hard to find on my side of the Atlantic.

Here's some more information on construction I received from the present owner:
    "Ballast: The forward part of the keel appears to have iron ballast that was encased in epoxy tar and or cement.
    The deep,aft part of the keel has lead pigs which interlock and have tabs welded in the corners above them to keep them from flying around in the event that the boat is ever inverted

Coach Roof/Deck The entire coach roof and decks are steel plate, not plywood has been used."

7. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

It sounds similar to mine. The problem with the keel is that if water has ever got in there it is impossible to get out since the ballast is permeable. I removed all the ballast on mine which was a tough job since it was made with alternate layers of metal punchings and lead sheet tamped in to place and rusted to a solid lump. The keel sides adjacent to the ballast were ok. I weighed every bucket of crud as I removed it and replaced the ballast with off cuts of square section lead sash weights. The boat in the photo seems to have the original portlight rubbers which may give trouble. The steel rusts under the rubber and becomes impossible to seal however if the rubber is removed and the steel cleaned up it can be used again. I had to weld in new pieces under some of the portlights as it had become very thin.
    There will probably be a cockpit floor hatch to the engine. You should look carefully at this because if it doesn't seal effectively the boat can down-flood from the cockpit drains...I know from experience!! On the subject, if the cockpit drains haven't been replaced they probably need to be.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.