Old Steel Fishing Vessel in my backyard. . . .

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JerryFisher, Apr 23, 2008.

1. JerryFisher

JerryFisher New Member

[​IMG]

This is a picture of the boat in my backyard taken a few years ago while it was being painted by my brother. Its 55' and has been entirely gutted with only rough cut hemlock floorboards and carpet on the inside. It floats in our pond for show.

-no engine,generators,or systems of any sort on the inside.

Does anyone know if you could restore a boat like this?

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Well, not entirely mild.

Sure, given prodigious quantities of determination, time, and money. I've seen "restored" airplanes where the rotted wood and corroded metal were used as patterns for a new structure - literally the only original thing on the plane was the manufacturer's ID plate.

Just curious - what's the background story on how this boat appeared in your back yard?

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i'd get a bigger and "wetter" pond hehe ;)
    ya,,you can restore almost ANYTHING,,does it have sentimental value?,,if so,,it would be well worth it,,,but least ya got a coolz "backyard" hehe ;)

4. JerryFisher

JerryFisher New Member

Thanks for your post! I'm a newb to the site and to forums in general :D

The history as i know it is that it sunk in the harbor god knows how many years ago and then "unsunk" and put in a boatyard up for sale. My dad bought it with the intentions of spending little money on it and to have it add some flair to our back yard (which is does, no doubt about it!).

Moving it required it to be put on a flatbed and secured. The top windows section had to be removed because of power line obstruction during the 20 mile trip to our backyard! When it arrived the truck had to drive through a cornfield which is adjacent to our house where it was then set on supports for some renovation work. The top was wielded back on after the journey and the inside was gutted of all insulation and rubbish. When ready the crane came back and set the sucker into the pond, it was a glorious moment!

Now it just sits there and i have fantasies of fixing the thing up and touring the great lakes with it.

1 person likes this.
  5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

cool story Jerry,,,knew it had to be 1 of those "yankee" stories hehe ;)
    id fix it,,,,it dont have to be "stock",,a nice shell to start with,,and you "customize" it yaself,,,and another chapter of the "story" hehe ;)

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Hey i like that boat, buy me a airticket will come do it up fer you:)) someone made nice job the bow plate,

7. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

Hell yes you could restore that old honey. Find an old 671 Detroit Diesel, about $100k and somebody who knows what they're doing. With a 28 foot center console selling for $100k, why wouldn't you restore that beauty. Then use it and use it some more!

Tony in Sw FL

8. big-boss

big-boss Junior Member

It looks like an oil field work boat my uncle ran out of Port Huneme in the 70's. I am no designer but it looks like it has a slick hull and it is not bad on the eyes either. Have fun.

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

if ya get a divorce,,,does the boat go with ya wife?,,,please attatch a pic of her,,,and personal phone # please
    hehe ;)

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Now that you mentioned it it does resemble the crash boats the we used out of Port Huneme. The hull shape is correct but not all those windows or cabin. Very fast and lots of fun.

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

OOPs sorry to step on your thoughts there Much...been out in the sun too much today.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.