Ideas/Plans for a boatbuilding shed?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jay and Ebben, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Jay and Ebben

Jay and Ebben BilgeRat

Heat? Thats what July is for!

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Great find on the building, this is not unusual if you just snoop around.

If your property is in a rural area the building size should not be an issue, common to put up barns or workshops that size all the time. You will likely need to find a local engineer or architect to create proper plans and calculation. If you are so inclined you can draw your own plans as long as they are done to the building department's minimum standard (usually 1/4" to 1' scale) with all the connection details. You might try submitting them yourself and see if they approve them. If the building is not too old you might be able to locate the original manufacturer (they are usually sold as a building package) and get the drawings and calculations package for it.

And there is still the possibility of passing it off as a "greenhouse" if you put in enough translucent roof panels. Check with your local codes for rural areas.

3. Jay and Ebben

Jay and Ebben BilgeRat

I just reread this thread that I started almost one year ago and I was reminded of how much has changed since then. While working out a feasibility study on building a scratch built steel or aluminum boat I came to understand that it was just too much of a financial stretch. The short story is that I started looking for a hull to rebuild. I had already read many design and steel boat books so I felt I would be able to find something out there that would suit my needs. Eventually, on Craigslist I found a hull that was within hours of being cut up for scrap. Crazy! So I jumped a plane and flew down for a peek. 24 hours later I shook hands with the owners sister (the owner was sadly killed in a motorcycle accident) and then was forced to fly back home and tell my wife the news... she was so.... 'excited' she didn't talk to me for months! ;) but now... well... maybe soon!

Anyways... here is a video of the arrival of the new steed here in Vermont. A full overhaul is just beginning. She is dutch built by Kompier in '82, designed by Henk Tingen. The photo below shows her in full color about 13 years ago. She is now ready for some new steel and paint.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z19BbGOuaPQ

Sail on!

Attached Files:

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Beautiful boat. Lots of work.

Hire the best surveyor before you create your battle plan.

Ive seen other beautiful yachts broken up because it was simply too expensive to rebuild them.

Do all you costing at professional shipyard prices. If youre skilled You certainly will be able to save money over a shipyard.....but not as much as you may wish

5. Jay and Ebben

Jay and Ebben BilgeRat

If I worked my cost basing on shipyard pricing the boat would still be in Florida! I am basing it on 8 years of labor (which will allow a healthy relationship with my wife and kids), a life time of acquired tools, volumes of books I've read on yacht design, steel boats, welding etc. many years on the water, a career firefighters budget and the fact that Moitessier did it 3 times w' nary a franc in his holed pockets! I am well past the need to use phone poles and cables for spars such as he - but I am not likely welcome at the New York Yacht Clubs annual buffet! As good fortune will have it... I am also starting with a fine dutch hull and fittings that were fabricated by some of the finest craftsmen of the '80's. In general, the condition of the steel hull is extraordinary. I have to replace sections of the deck and cabin house but wow.. EVERYTHING else is there! well... less the fact that each and every spar is delaminated at every seem. :D

I say this all in good humor of course and with all respect to you Michael. In part I am continuing a dialog I have created w/ myself that confirms the fact that I am doing this, now. I promised the owners sister (who I purchased the vessel from) that one day we would cast her brothers ashes to the sea from his beautifully restored yacht... and this will happen one day! Cheers to "those that dream during the day and make their dreams a reality"
    Oscar Wilde.

Sail on!

ps. the photo is of Maverick after some fresh paint in her former days of glory... a sneak peak of the future!

Attached Files:

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Good luck !!. The Dutch build fine boats. Ive been refitting Dutch steel yachts for 30 years.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Take it from an old boat builder that has been thru this more times than I want to remember- including relationships. take it in steps, don't rush, and do a little every day regardless of how little that is. Planning is included in this time -keep a notebook on person, in the boat, in the car, and if you can find one a big old school blackboard, install it in the boat shed.(I have two). Take at least one full day and one full night per week and devote that time totally to the family.If the missus is not into boating or your dream you will have a challenge--so heres what i've learned over the years-be extremely patient and as much as you want too don't over do it with time on the project, thats why the family time is so important. Include the family in small easy projects with rewards of payment as you would a helper. Allowance for the kids fun money for the wife. They have got to become part of the dream otherwise at launch time you might have to make a relationship decision--seen it happen too many times. Of all the activities of man motorcycles and boats are critical to family involvement. On the project itself, Step #1 is to protect it from the weather until you get a boat shed over it. Being a steel hull here are your most important tools -- a good 220volt powered portable mig --By being able to move it around you do not need an expensive spool gun. A plazma cutter capable of cutting 1/2 to 3/4 in steel. Plazmas cut cooler than gas and tend not to warp, plus they can also cut alum. or stainless. A good compressor, air dryer and an in line oiler plus nice assortment of air tools.(a seperate hose and no oiler for spray painting) A top notch brand, medium and small grinder-. A medium size sand blaster. Lots of good quality C and magnetic clamps. I'm sure the guys or yourself can add to this but this should get you in the go. -- Open a thread dedicated to you build post with photos we'll all join in-- Congrads. and good luck -Geo.

8. Jay and Ebben

Jay and Ebben BilgeRat

Thanks VN,

That is some of the best advice I have heard yet. The mechanics issues don't scare me but my relationship with my wife does. She joined me (first date!) just as I was starting the live-aboard life on the wood boat you see in my profile photo and spent years going back and forth to her job in Vermont. She knows the deal. I begged her to sail around the world with me at that time... the boat was ready and I had sold everything else I had and had nothing to come back to (this was another excellent tip from an ole' salt). Unfortunately in South America she said she was ready to return home. At that time I said; "I can always find another boat... but there is only one Beth". Let me tell you... finding the means for this second boat is much tougher with a family!.

The recent loss of a few of my closest friends pointed out the writing on the wall. The time had come. Now. If I don't make it around the globe in Maverick I will at least make it to the edge and get a sailors view over the side for a while. Or I will pass from this world doing everything possible to make it happen. It is that important to me.

The primary goals that I had established were;
    1) Do no financial harm to my family. I bought the boat for the price of scrap steel. It has cleaned up nicely and is worth well over what I paid for it and my hopes are that as I work on it the value will increase at least parallel to my efforts.

2) Family first. Pick a time line that works for everyone. I have nine years of work as a firefighter (way back I was a wooden boat builder). My kids will be college age at that point. I hope more than anything they will choose to join me when they can - but I want them to find there own path. I really hope we can all go... but I am rigging to sail alone when absolutely required.

3) Support Beth in any way I can to make her comfortable. Improve the homestead for all of us. Hope she can join me at times too.

4) Work, work, have good times with family. Load and go. Be responsible and sail hard...

5) Take full advantage of others advice on the forum!! there sure is lots out there! Some, like yours is wonderful.

Thank you for contributing so thoughtfully. You are helping me more than you may be aware...

Sail on!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.