Ideas for the head?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gashmore, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Gashmore

Gashmore Junior Member

Sorry to divert everyone from the glory of hull design to the grunt work of the interior but I see no other place to post this question.

I am finishing up the heads in Rutu. Unlike a production boat where you mold up a one piece fiberglass unit and plop it in I had to build the cabinets in PVC foam covered in glass with solid surface counter tops and Formica faces. Used cockpit access hatches so everything is sealed up nicely from the shower spray. The problem is the flooring. There are hoses under it so there has to be access to it. I solved it in the aft head by building an over size shower pan and teak grate that can be lifted out. The forward head in the forepeak however is to small for anything more than a simple drain. Also about 3" of the hull is exposed on either side. Besides the hoses, this is the area most likely to be damaged in a collision with things like containers and whales so it has to be removable.

A lot of work has gone into this tiny space and it is looking really good. I don't want to spoil it with a clunky floor. I am looking for suggestions on how to make it removable, water tight and still look professional.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

could tou make the floor out of glass,,,on a work bench,,,,,make it so it will fit in either 1 or 2 pieces,,,then attach to flloor,,,when needed to get to unscrew and lift floor out,,,maybe,,hehe ;)

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Watertight with a drain... A half bladder (pvc, polyurethane etc) Like a bladder tank cut in half upside down..

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

try a pic of the head,,,or whats there heh,,,,,,,but take the 5 gallon bucket out first ;)

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'll try :D :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.