Ideas for low budget sliding seat sculling oars and sliding seats??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I just picked up a 22' x 3' tandem rowing scull with no oars or seats.

Just has flat area for skateboard type seat wheels, so I'm thinking of installing metal rails and building my own seats out of small ice chests http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/Legend/12-Can-Legend-Red if I don't buy seats.

What about the oars, which cost $100s?

I'm not "racing for money" and this is an older boat I'm fixing up a little so I'd be open to "good enough" oars or a 2nd set of oars for when two are actually rowing.

Any ideas? Yes, this boat has sliding seat style oar locks were you crank the oars 90 deg on each stroke etc.

I've had an old Maas before and done a little rowing in it.

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I would make the seat pan from small piece of plywood (for strength) and foam glued to that. Sand the foam to desired shape. Google making kayak seats or similar and you'll find more information. I don't see how the ice chests would work well.

3. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Second hand fine boat blades do not cost 100's of dollars, because of the never ending arms race of equipment rowing clubs tend to have lots of perfectly servicable oars a few years old that get pushed to the back of the rack as new ones are purchased.
    Find your nearest Club get in touch with their Captain & ask if they have any older stuff they want to get shot of. Probably help with the seat as well.
    Although i am in the Uk i would bet the situation is no different over in the US.
    Here secondhand cardon sweeps can be had from £25 - £50 each & i was lucky enough to buy a pile of hollow wooden sculls in perfect condition for £30 a pair.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.