use Maxsurf Structure to design Fishing Ship in GRP material

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ltd93, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ltd93

ltd93 Junior Member

hello everyone,
    I'm learing to design fishing ship in GRP material (composite). Does anyone has experience in that could share some detail?

What is the advantage and disadvantage useing Maxsurf Structure to design GRP's ship?

How to build the profile (section) of fram. strigers,....(cause the forms of composite does not support.

Thanks for every advice or comment!

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Maxsurf will not help at all to design boats, fishing boats or any other type. Nor can help you understand how the GRP works. On the contrary, if you mix different things such as ship design, strength of materials and the use of certain software, you'll much delay your learning process.
    Learn first how a thing is done and then learn how to do it with a software.
    What is what "the forms of composite does not support"?

3. ltd93

ltd93 Junior Member

thank for your help!

the "forms of composite" mean, Maxsurf Structure doesn't support the composite frame section( it has steel section such as : T, L ,I,...).

So could we make the composite section which has foam inside by using the Maxsurf Structure.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Can not you use, for example, a rectangular profile with geometric properties equivalent to actual profile?

5. ltd93

ltd93 Junior Member

so I must use another program to build structure. Which software is most appropriate to do after used Maxsurf Structure?

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I am a user of Hydromax and Maxsurf and I think it is a very good software. I have not used the structures module but I am surprised that it has problems you decribe. I think you should fully explore the possibilities of this software before discarding.

7. ltd93

ltd93 Junior Member

Thanks! Actually, I just use Structure modul to practice in my study. But it quite difficult to enjoy. haha:D

8. jmanzanera

jmanzanera New Member

Good night gentlemen, I'm new at this forum so I'll introduce my self, I'm a mechanical engineer, I took a minor on naval engineer and I'm also trying to design to build (some day) a commercial fishing boat with fiberglass (which I have worked a lot) for my own and I want to do it under ABS rules, However, I can't find what rules apply to this kind of vessel. Can some one give me a hint? I don't want it to be coastal and it should be around 38 to 42 ft.

I hope you could help me. Thank you very much :)

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In general there is a gap with the rules applicable to ships under 24 m. The ISO 12215 standard, as can be read in its early sections, apply to boats between 6 and 24 m in length, but many understand that refers to pleasure boats. In any case, you should consult with the authorities of your country about what are the rules applicable to ships built in this territory.

10. jmanzanera

jmanzanera New Member

Thank you very much, I found the Pub#12 of ABS "Rules for building and classing reinforced plastic vessels" I guess this would work as well.

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

All regulations, in its early chapters, defines its scope, ship types and sizes.

12. jmanzanera

jmanzanera New Member

Of course thank you

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.