interior of coldmolded boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by patrick99, Apr 15, 2009.

1. patrick99

patrick99 New Member

Newbie here - tried to search the previous posts but its hard to get what I need. And the Gougeon brothers book does not specifically state what I need. So, Here goes.

1) The inside of this coldmolded tri is unfinished, ie. bare wood.
    Should this be painted - if so, I could no longer see where bad spots might be starting - or should it be epoxied - expensive to the whole inside - or just epoxy the "bilge" area most likely to get wet.

2) At the hatches the fibreglass is peeled away from the wood. Do I just slop some more epoxy in the gap, or do I cut the glass back and then re-epoxy - if so how far back do you go. (assuming the wood underneath is not wet/damaged).

Any advice or links to advice gratefully received.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Find out what the adhesive was for the molding process. Most use epoxy. If this is the case then epoxying the whole of the bare wood surfaces is the way to go for durability and longevity. Epoxying only areas that might get wet doesn't use epoxy to it's full advantage, so you might as well just use paint instead.

Delaminated fabrics need to be ground back until you're at good bond, then patched. Any wet wood needs to be dried out to about 15% moisture content, better if 12% before new laminate is applied. Any rot needs to be removed, new wood or filler used to fill the void(s) then finished as desired.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.