Merc 40 4 hp - need help starting it!

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Jack Flak, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Jack Flak

Jack Flak New Member

So - I'm new to all this boating stuff (as in just bought an old jon boat with a 'like new' fully rebuilt Mercury 4 hp motor).

I took the boat out and put gas in the tank and added the proper amount of 2 cycle oil. I pumped the gas line a few times, turned the choke lever to 'choke', put it in 'neutral' and the handle to 'start'.

I pulled the rig cord a dozen times and more - nothing happens. then did it again and again.

The motor is old but actually looks great - and the guy showed me the 'guts' of it that he rebuilt - looks nice and newish - he said he tested it and fished with it.

but I get nothing to happen. What am I doing wrong??

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You put gas in the tank and then poured in the oil??
    MIX FUEL AND OIL BEFORE you pour it into the fuel tank !! has to be shaken about for it to mix or just lays in the bottom of the tank! and then goes into the carburator !!
    Its easy to flood a 2 straoke motor !! Take out the spark plugs and clean .Have you checked the spark ??
    Two pulls on full choke and then push it back in again !! open the throttle about 1/4 the way and try again :D

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have to mix in the tank, always put the oil in first. The fuel sloshing in will help mix it.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Those motors are pretty simple. Check for a spark at the plugs.

Check that gas is inducting thru the carb. Normally after you pull a dozen times you will smell the gas.

If you have spark and gas, those simple motors start.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Lets see you bought a renovated motor of a guy that did it himself . You did not hear it running and now you find it doe'snt run..

Hmm lets see now what the hell could that be!!!

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

go to the mercury forum on www.iboats.com this is one of the biggest boat fourms in the world ..well it was till they threw me off after 1034 posts ....bloody yanks ..... when you get it going the next thing to check is do you have cooling water flow ....

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If I had a forum Piston I would chuck you off it.

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

If I had a forum Frosty I would not let you on it ....

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

BDN Moderator ! Moderator !!!! HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frostys going after Pistonbroke with a loaded Black and Decker...

Its look'n bad, real bad...

Attached Files:

10. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

I believe they are only clowning around Michael ;)

11. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

You didn't say, so getting to the basics, make sure you attach the lanyard/clip into the deadman switch or you will not get any spark.

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's a dozen or so things that could be causing this, from something as simple as a closed fuel tank vent to gummed up reed valves.

The logical thing to do is take it back to the guy you bought it from and have him show you how to start it. While you're there make friends, buy him a beer and get a few lessons on how to use it, care for it and fix the obvious things that might need it, in the next year or two, like the impeller.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.