Ice-storage

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Horst, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Horst

Horst New Member

I live in the Montreal, Quebec region and want to leave a trimaran in the water over winter. What is needed to asure the hulls are not crashed but lift out of the ice with the freezing cycle. Some people in Ontario are apparently living on the boat all year round. A trimaran has only 18 inches in the water while the ice gets 18 to 24 inches thick. Is there enough heat from the sun to form a water under the ice, do I need a air-bubbling pump?
    Any experience out there?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I kept boats in the water with a bubbler. It works great in a protected bay or anchorage. If you are in open waters, the ice floes may crush the hull.

3. Horst

Horst New Member

Ice_storage

:!: Thank you Gonzo. I studied bubbler systems and http://www.dockbubbler.com sells a affordable system. My worry now is safty that nobody falls through the ice. Any idea what the ledge of ice is like. Like 45 or 30 degree?
    Will I need a fence around.
    Horst

4. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

If your trimaran is large enough,remove it from the water and enjoy it on land.Bubblers are undependable when the weather really sets in up North.Ice can stove up a boat in no time without warning,and the results are real.If it is a small boat the thing needs to be beside your cabin for unexpected floods.A large boat can serve as an apartment on land,I know a Travellift is somewhere close by.