ICARE RANS Solver

Discussion in 'Software' started by scooby, Jun 15, 2008.

1. scooby

scooby New Member

Hi,

Anyone know anything about this solver - mainly where can I get it and is it free?

All I can find on the internet are various papers showing that it seems to handle free surface flow around boat hulls pretty well, which makes me want to try it, but nothing about where to find it.

Thanks!

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

It didn't do very well on predicting the waves for the Model 5415 hull at the Gothenburg 2000 Workshop on Numerical Hydrodynamics. E.g. see Section D4 Fig. 2 of the proceedings.

The code was developed by Ecole Centrale de Nantes in France. Try there for a start.

Good luck!
    Leo.

3. scooby

scooby New Member

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the info, I've tried the ECN website. My French isn't very good which doesn't help but I didn't have much luck even finding the solver's authors let alone information about the solver.

I've also tried to get my hands on the Gothenburg 2000 Proceedings, but the one link that didn't want $50US was broken.

I've done a bit more searching and found an FEA solver called GetFem++ which includes a solver named icare. It's exclusively C++ or Matlab (but with stability problems apparently). I find it kind of odd that a solver aimed at boats is FEA and not finite volume, so maybe this isn't the same solver. I've also found some reports of the 2003 French IACC using ICARE, but with approval from the French Navy. Me thinks this might be one CFD code that is kept under pretty tight wraps.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

The paper describing ICARE at Gothenburg 2000 was:
    Alessandrini, B. and Gentaz, L.,
    "A fully coupled theory for viscous free surface flow computation"

The code might be difficult to obtain, but I can't see why you would prefer it over other CFD codes. There's little evidence that it is better or worse than others.

Leo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.