Help designing high-speed hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by briggs, Jun 23, 2005.

1. briggs

briggs New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and boat building in general so my questions might be a bit stupid...
    I'm looking for a light hull design for a high speed boat. It needs to do about 60-65 knots and be able to take big waves (high stability). Of course it doesn't have to do 60 knots in heavy water, but at least in sheltered waters.
    I need it for crew transport, so it should take about 6-8 people, and be about 20-24 feet long. It should either have a jet or a propeller-bracket kind of deal.
    I'm open to a lot of different hull-shapes, as long as it's fast, light and has high stability. If anybody could give me some good advice as to how I should build it, or somewhere they could build it for me at an affordable price, it would be greatly appreciated :)
    Cheers!

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

check out
    www.silverstreakboats.com
    With enough horsepower any of the boats offered will do the job, but they sell a "offshore" boat capable of high speed (like you described) in very choppy weather.

As for designing a hull, you could try any deep v hull with a deadrise angle around 20 degrees, with a beam of around 8'6" to a length of 24'. 4" to 6" wide chines, longitudinally framed, carrying 450hp or more ( either outboard or inboard). Weight around 3000lbs. Surface drive (Arneson Industries) would be at least as effective as jets, possibly better.

3. briggs

briggs New Member

Would anybody here that really knows how be able to draw something like this? (With more details of course).

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Briggs,

Have a look at the VSV hull-shapes from Paragon Mann, they're intended for high-speed operation in adverse conditions and might suit your needs. Seems like they do boats mostly for military applications, but don't let that stop you.

Yoke.

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Another possibility is contacting Ocke Mannerfelt over in Sweden, he's pretty good.

Yoke.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  6. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

The speed required of 60/65 knots seams to be to high for small boat with bracket or waterjet propulsion system.
    (....Weight around 3000lbs....) The REFOLO ASD 6.2 x 2.4 m with 1 x 225 hp by Volvo and 2 persons had a weight of 1500 kg.. Now with 6/8 crew + helm + scantling not more for 50 but 65 knots + Arneson + engine.......
    For me the required speed is to high... but is only my opinion

RANCHI Otto

7. briggs

briggs New Member

Thanks for the input. I'll look into this. In my experience, having a hull made specially, is cheaper than buying a mass prouction boat with a fancy brand name. Then again, I've never had a high-speed craft built. I'm looking to build as cheap as possible. However, I think I want to invest in a surface drive rather than a jet...

8. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Briggs,

There is a Norwegian company (I forget the name) building boats for rough service with a relatively thin glass/epoxy single skin and an extensive grid of prisma beams to back it up. (you can find prisma online)

Some variation of that technique might serve to make a tough boat inexpensively. What you might consider doing is using a design similar to the classic offshore racing deep-vee shape without too much compound curvature. That would enable you to quickly build a simple temporary female mold from either particle board or masonite coated with melamine. (Both are inexpensive)

You could also build a cored boat by joining foam sheets together into panels and laminating the inside skin before putting them onto a male mold, then all you have to do is laminate the outside skin, all in one go.

These are of course only two methods out of many.

Good luck,
    Yoke.

9. CORMERAN

CORMERAN Junior Member

Re: HIGH SPEED TRANSPORT

Yes, we can draw the type of vessel you require.
    - AND build it, to International Standards - at a good price.

We have a number of proven designs - that work well at high speed
    - in inclement conditions.
    That we will transport your crew in relative comfort, to their destination
    - ready to go to work.

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Here is one example of a boat that will do what you want. You will need to have them build the interior and cockpit to suit your needs.

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/boats/sport.htm

I think your length limit of 24' may be too short though. It will likely need to be longer than that. No boat, at least no monohull, is going to be comfortable at high speed in rough water.

11. Adam Younger

Adam Younger www.adamyoungerdesign.com

We design a variety of high speed craft, race, leisure and commercial. We also built prototype craft or provide initial tooling.

Always looking to develop new technology and hull froms.

More details at our website, www.k4plus.com

12. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Adam Younger / very interesting website and very nice designs...compliments!