Help to get the right track for being a marine designer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by m.idrees075, Jul 12, 2016.

1. m.idrees075

m.idrees075 Junior Member

Hi everyone...
    It's my honour to be belong with you here ☺
    Please... can someone help me to get the right track for being a marine designer
    I'm in final year of marine engineering... what is the early steps should do it to be in the right start ?
    Please help me

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi m.idrees075, maybe you should explain a little more in which direction you like to go. i.e. small yacht design, submarine design, large ship design, aircraft carrier design, sailing boats design. At least we can give you some basic advice. But one advice we all can give you, We wish you success and make sure, you get your diploma or degree , with the highest points. Although the degree/diploma is what counts and very seldom they judge you on whether you have qualified with 50% or 95% . Bert

3. m.idrees075

m.idrees075 Junior Member

Thanks very much for your reply my boss:)
    well.... I'd like to go in the direction of small boats :)

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Seeing that nobody is answering your call. I would say, if you like to go into designing of small sailing yachts, go sailing in your free time. Just to get the feel of it. If you like to go into designing small powerboats, try to get a couple of lifts with a powerboat just to get the feel for what is a small powerboat.
    But if you haven't downloaded some of the free software programs, it would be probably a good start. However, you may like to elaborate more on what you actual expect the forum members should advice you on. Bert

5. preventec47

preventec47 Junior Member

Something about your requests seem very suspicious but I will assume the
    best and just say unless you are independently wealthy you will fail
    to put food on the table and you will starve. When you invest in expensive
    education you have to plan for the application of that education to take
    advantage of barriers to entry of your competitors ie. they cant do the job because they dont have your degree.

Just like architects today cannot feed themselves designing small houses because every housewife in america wants to design their own home and in most cases they can. By the same token nearly every boating enthusiast here could design their own boat if they wanted to. The problem and challenge is finding something to do that others value enough to want to pay you for your efforts. Specialize specialize specialize.... but specialize in the right thing. It is too late but you should have become a petroleum engineer and stuck to the marine stuff as hobby. You are far from alone however.... there are also thousands who focused on aerospace engineering because they like airplanes..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.