I want to build a 14'-15' (4,70-5,00m) aluminum runabout/fishing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vava, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Vava

Vava Junior Member

Hi all,

I want to build my own small runabout boat from aluminum. I can work aluminum and do other detailed and handed metal works, as well as the final design after or before building the hull (the basis). I have seen some videos on youtube and I have read some threads but still I would like someone to help me out with the following, because I want to go step by step. I am from Greece, near the seaside, but at the place where I am we don't really have any naval traditions or boatbuilders, so I don't really have some solid examples.

1) A detailed design, preferably CAD plans of the aluminum parts, for an aluminum hull with the materials I should use. This way, I want to know what pieces to cut, so I proceed fast with the first step. I like the Sea Rays Runabouts like the SPX and I would like to make something similar but a smaller. Maybe that's a little optimistic, but I believe once I manage to make a lightweight and strong structure, I will carve the rest decently. All the plans I have found so far are not that helpful to me, and I haven't found something detailed. If a structure design is attractive and legit, using easy found and handled materials, I am willing to pay for it.

2) Suggestions for affordable parts and materials I can order from Amazon or Alibaba or similar like steering wheel, batteries, naval systems, chairs etc

That is for now, but I would appreciate your help starting from the design outline of the structure and the materials I could use in order to achieve an attractive result made by aluminum, or any other suggestions, are welcome.

2. Vava

Vava Junior Member

Thank you! I am contacting you now.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Anything under 5 metres would be barely worth the trouble.

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Australia would be a possible market, but nesting them is a bit of a headache.

6. Vava

Vava Junior Member

This is what I am wondering first, if it’s worth it for a small project. I can do the aluminum work easily if I have detailed plans for it, because I have the workshop, but I haven’t done anything similar before, as the workshop is for construction works. I even lack of the related terminology for this project, but I am reading about it, as it’s weekend now. The rest of the work will be a little trouble for me, but I can have help if I need it, so, I am optimistic I can deliver something worthy. So, first, I would appreciate if someone has some detailed plans in CAD or pdf form for a size like that, I can follow exactly without “improvising”.

7. Vava

Vava Junior Member

I made some more research, and for this size, the effort is not worth it unless there is a minimum of some pieces. I realized that the required precision, engineering and workmanship is really not worth the effort. I thought that maybe I could go for an 17-18 foot length, but still for one experimental piece is not worth it. So, project abandoned. Of course if anyone has any smart and effective ideas or some readings, you are welcome.

8. Stephen Pollard

Stephen Pollard New Member

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Stephen F Pollard? Boat Building in Aluminum?
    Looking forward to your input

10. Stephen Pollard

Stephen Pollard New Member

Barry
    Specmar Inc. has been doing designs for small welded aluminum boats for about 20 years, and have a selection of plans with CAD cutting files and material lists available for a modest fee. We have a number of existing designs from 14-18 feet shown on our website. They can be easily modified to suite a specific customer.
    I have been curious as to why the availability of existing welded aluminum boat plans found on our web site are never mentioned in this forum.
    Yes, I am the author of "Boatbuilding with Aluminum"

Steve Pollard

11. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

yeah, I've seen crazy prices for stuff in Australia. I think most aluminum runabouts are almost self nesting, with sloped transoms and built in benches. Just stack'em starting with biggest boat. One stack of pointy boats and one stack of jonboats. Probably one stack of bigger boats and stack of smaller boats would fit side-by-side in 8' container, so easy 4 stacks of boats in 30', with about 1' of vertical space for each nested boat (due to height of benches). Crushing the bottom boat might be an issue, so a few struts to floor for upper boats.

My real concern would be Regulations. Is some official gonna pop-up out of nowhere and "condemn" a load of perfectly good all-American boats because they "only" have USCG approval?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.