i want a cheap sailboat!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by druidking, Jan 13, 2009.

1. druidking

druidking Junior Member

does any1 know where i can get a very cheap sailboat in NH
    i would prefer it have a cabin and all the sailing equipment (unless it is cheap and easily attainable)
    also i dont care the condition of it!!! (weather it be stripped/gutted in the inside, scrached, or have a hole in it)
    i was looking at a nice boat last summer like this that was only $200 it was perfect but they sold it before i came up with the money (i had to pay some one back for helping me)

any info on boats for sale that are very cheap is much appriciated

(i've looked on craigslist, and uncle henry's but cant find much of anything)

my price range is probably about $0- $500

2. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

That's a REALLY short budget for a sailboat with a cabin. I guess your best bet would be to spend a few days digging through Google results & try to find one that everyone else missed. ;)

3. druidking

druidking Junior Member

what do you propose i search in google?

4. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

Search for sailboats, boating classifieds, boats for sale, anything that might give you a boat on pg 34 of results that nobody else has found and bought yet...that's what I'd do if I needed a sailboat w/cabin badly, and only had $500 to buy it with....
    ...or I'd visit my local lumber yard, order some epoxy & fiberglass...draw some ideas up on graph paper, and see if I could find an older gentleman who's been around boats all his life (sorry, at 26 I'm hardly qualified here) and see if i could convince him to look over my plans & help me with the info I'll need to do a build. ;)

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

craigslist and patience - also wooden boat magazine has boats fro free section - though I think the donaters hope that the boast would be restored.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Don't bother with any of the conventional ways to find a sailboat. No one looking to sell a $500 (or less) boat is going to spend money or time on a conventional ad of some type.

The best way to find a boat like this is to do some leg work. With the current economic climate, there are thousands of boats just waiting for a new owner to come along and save them.

To find them, check car ports, under tattered tarps in back and side yards. Check every marine and boat repair place in your area. The boat you'll want will be hiding under a few old car tires, that formerly held down a now well thread bare, plastic tarp. It'll look terrible, will have mold and that green stuff that seems to like the northern exposures, all over it. Every marina and boat repair place has these derelicts. Of course it's really important to have a clue what you're looking at, so you don't end up with a pile of boat needing to be dragged to the land fill. This is especially true when looking for a project boat.

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You really should care about the condition of the boat. Many boats have a negative value.
    Owners of such boats often put a price tag on them anyway, something that at first glance looks like a fantastic deal.
    Then there are some really great boats whose owners simply don't care to clean them up enough to attract most buyers---- they just put them up for sale for a givaway price.
    It takes a lot of knowledge to know the difference between the two deals above. Good judgement takes that kind of knowledge. There are so many ways to go wrong.
    There is also value in learning by making mistakes, and still coming out of it with a good boat (and enough experience to know what to look for next time).
    Whatever deal you think you've found, make sure it's a boat you can love, just in case it isn't the wonderful bargain you thought it was.

8. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Or steal it and set off immediately for Colombia or wherever? - - the definition of a boat is "a hole in the water into which one pours money to maintain/retain that hole...." no such thing as cheap in the long term....

10. pkoken

pkoken S/V Samadhi V

My first sailboat cost me $400, I believe it would come under the realm of "cheap". I loved that boat even though it was falling apart and absorbed several thousand dollars over the three years I operated it.

The purchase price of the boat is going to be the LEAST of your costs. Often a more expensive (purchase price) boat will cost you less than a "cheap" boat simply because you spend less fixing it.

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Best chances at local bar desks. Give tips to bartenders and your phone number. Stay alert an money in your pocket and ready to start at small hours :D

12. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Check with marina offices. There are many boats in the marinas that have recently been abandoned.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

maybe one could buy one of those parked on the hard and in arrears on rent & sent final notice for removal to defray losses......?

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

probably the best way to go Mas, or a half finished self build project that's run into problems..............look for screetching wife!!

15. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member