planked boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ricketyantiques, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ricketyantiques

ricketyantiques Junior Member

strongly thinking about restoring a od boat. Afriend built one cold mold construction. I would perfer to restore one over completly build one. I have been looking at some old chris crafts from 40's. construction is planked mahogany.MY QUESTIONS!! do these planked boats require great maintence ?do I need to dock them all season?or can they trailer when decide to take out?thank you ,Im just trying to get answers before I jump in.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you do a complete proper restoration, the maintenance is reasonable. However, it will take you three to four times the labor and probably half as much in materials to restore an old boat compared to a new build. Planked boats can be trailered and can be stored out of the water.

3. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

I would go with a new build like mine if you don't mind not having a name,most old boats you find become full rebuilds unless your very lucky and find one that has been well looked after all it's life and then your talking $$$$.
    My last build was plywood and coated in fiberglass cloth and resin and I trailer it everywhere no probs.
    My new build will be plywood and then planked in mahogany.
    This is my first build and my new build.
    http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/

http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/crackerbox/

Best of luck with what you do.:)