I used the wrong filler in cracks on my canoe...

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mattmartin4, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The gloss of a marine grade paint is a bit higher than porch paint. That shouldn't make any difference in a canoe. I have painted many boats with regular enamel and got a good finish.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

One problem is that porch and deck paints come in something like four colors, whereas marine paints usually come in a lot of colors. You won't likely find navy blue, for example, or yellow.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Many paint store carry the paint base and mix any colour in the chart.

4. mattmartin4

mattmartin4 Junior Member

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Weeeeeeeellll... I'd recommend you brush the paint on because spray paint actually can be tougher to do well, never mind you'll be using up half a dozen cans. Find an article on "roll and tip" painting and you'll be amazed at the kind of job a brush can do.

6. mattmartin4

mattmartin4 Junior Member

Hi Alan,

Yes I'm sold that looks like the best route to go. I'll go to my local hardware store and see what they can do for me.

Its going to be at least another week until I paint the canoe. The chip repair is coming along nicely.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Given the colors black, white, medium red, medium blue and a bright yellow, I can make any other color. If you're working with straight alkyds, you can buy little cans (half pint?) of the primaries and mix the color of your dreams. You can also get dry pigments intended to do the same thing (actually much better), if you have a need to match colors (which comes up in the restoration business). Naturally, it helps if you are familiar with color mixing. If you know a guy at the hardware store, you can probably convince him to apply a few squirts of pigment(s) into plastic bags, for mixing into your paints later.