I used the wrong filler in cracks on my canoe...

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mattmartin4, Dec 30, 2010.

1. mattmartin4

mattmartin4 Junior Member

I am a complete noob when it comes to canoes/boats so I am hoping someone will help me here!

I've just picked up a 2nd hand 15.5ft canoe which is only going to be used in lakes for fishing.

I'm probably going to be ripped for this but anyways here goes...

I have a couple of small chips about 1 - 1.5 cm wide which I have filled with pollyfiler. Which I now realize is stupid because its porous!

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to correct this? Sand it out? Then put a fiber glass filler over the top? Then sand down?

Appreciate any suggestions that you have.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Dig it out and repair it with gelcoat. I assume you are talking of a fiberglass canoe.

3. mattmartin4

Hi gonzo,

Yes it is a fiberglass canoe. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should use to digg it out? I'm thinking I've got to be pretty careful with it...

Where can I get gel coat from? I'm in Canada, used to live in the UK though!

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Anything sharp: chisel, knife, etc. Sand as much of the leftover as you can. Any marine store will sell it. Hardware stores and paint stores too. Try Canadian Tire. I lived in Canada for a few years.

5. mattmartin4

Of course... Canadian Tire will have it!

Thanks - I must remember to research these things before jumping straight in!

6. mattmartin4

7. mattmartin4

I was worrying about nothing filler came out no problems!

Can someone give me some advice on finishing the canoe.

I am planning to fill the chips, sand the whole canoe down and then paint.

I was planning on using Bondo Fibreglass Resin from Canadian Tire to repair the chips, then sanding the hull down to make everything smooth - theres a few scratches etc that I want to deal with - I will then finish off with some enamel paint. Sanding inbetween coats with different grits. I've been reading about people using floor paint? Is that advisable?

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You really ought to use some epoxy putty to fill all the nicks and scratches unless they are small. However, I've successfully used an automotive spot glazing putty, an acrylic product available at the auto parts store. Then yes, what works well for paint is oil-based porch and deck enamel. No primer needed. Two to three coats. Wet sand between with #320 grit wet/dry paper.

9. mattmartin4

10. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Bondo works just fine for a Chopper Gun Canoe

As you may just exceed the value of the Canoe if you use something more sofisticated.

Most of those cheapo Canian Canoes sold for little more than $200 when new so a $10 patch is just about right and wont affect the performance at all by adding 30 or 40 pounds.

There wera a Slew of real Cheapo Canoes a few years ago before most of the boat builders went under.

Makers such as Marvac, Caldorette, Peterborough, Great Canadian, New River and others made mass produced canoes by the thousands.

Here is a nicly rigged little paddleboat.

[​IMG]

11. mattmartin4

woah thats pretty kitted out! are they paddling through ice?

This canoe is pretty old - however I paid $400 as a complete bundle with paddles, life jackets, some rope and bike trailer.

http://www.wicycle.com/canoe_woody_wagon_bicycle_trailer.php

I've never seen a new canoe here for less than $400 + taxes - ca tire has them for $650 at the mo.

I just want to prolong the life of the canoe with a half decent job. Thanks for all the help. I don't plan to spend anymore than $100 if I can help it.

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

13. mattmartin4

Right got it. I will find an oil based paint.

14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Most all of the boat paints are oil based. They cost around $30.00 a quart. That's $20.00 more than porch and deck enamel. The boat paints come in a lot more colors, have more urethane in them (so they are harder), and usually they have truly superb brushing results due to better chemistry.
    The question is whether you would be willing to spend another $20.00 to have a much better job satisfaction level.
    On a big job where you're painting the bilge of a boat or the exterior of a work boat, you can save huge money by finding alternatives to marine paint. But on a canoe that will use a pint or so, why not go the extra mile?

1 person likes this.

15. mattmartin4

hey alan,

Yeah I hear you. Theres a boat/marine shop really close to my house I should drop in and get a price.

I'd rather do good job... regardless of the overall value of the canoe - i want it to look good as I will be keeping it for years to come!