I think Ive made resin mistake

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Feb 9, 2011.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

A friend told me about how his grandpa would test the depth of gasoline in the underground storage tanks at his gas station and then drop his lit cigar into it to make a point about something or other.

A co-worker claimed it was FAA illegal for two believers to be in the cockpit on the same flight because when the Rapture came it would leave the plane pilotless. "You can look it up on the internet!"

I looked up making fiberglass tanks and they were sort of standard for boats, one requirement being the inside had to be resin rich, which is what you have, being pure resin. However, the book was before ethanol was around. Here is a study about fiberglass and ethanol...
    http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fueltest.asp
    There are others.

Here's a sealer for $40, probably way too expensive...
    http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I'm using your experiences to start a Chain Cleaning Franchise Empire and will cut you in for a percentage. I'm thinking "Immaculate Connections" or "Speckless Fetters". Eh??

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I really cant see alcohol affecting resin, I have thrown up and pissed all over the aft decks and the missus just hoses it off the next day while im still asleep.

Im encouraged by your words requiring boats to have resin rich interior surfaces on the fuel tanks. Ide like to feel confident when I fire the ***** up tomorrow for a run before heading off to the Cambodian border and back up through the national parks on Sunday with 18 bikers. If I have cocked up with this a hand full of filters is my only contingency plan,-- if they dont abandon me in some Elephant or snake farm.

Theres no way that snot (if there is any) could get through the filters.

My missus wont go with me but I can pick one of those up at the first gas station stop,-- 7/11 usually has a good supply of young girls requiring something throbbing between thier legs and as you can see from my avatar im a good catch.

I am at a loss as to what to suggest you call your new venture but will graciously accept all moneys offered.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

My ex threw up in the kitchen sink once and left it overnite. It melted all the plastic stuff.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yikes
    lucky she's an x

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

LOL. You bunch can only talk a lot of crap eh. Enjoy it sincerely though.

I think the tank is going to be ok Frosty. The tacky would have gone away if you left the tank in the sun so it heats up. Just resin will crack and break if you hit it with a hammer.

How long the resin takes to fully cure (to feel dry dry dry) I cannot tell you, I've heard like a month and others suggested months, depending on how thick the layup was.

Polyester is resistant to most chemicals. Polyester 'evaporates' over time in the sun if it's not covered.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I forgot to mention it wasn't even our house.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I nearly drowned in my own vomit once, those were the days. I had been drinking rum and coke, it had pooled in my pillow and had made a kind of dam. It was on my bachelors night some time in the middle of the last century.

I believe you can drown in 2 inches. Im lucky to be alive and was able to remain married for almost 18 months.

Regurgitated cider can be very corrosive.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

How much more if you get her angry. What will she spew out?

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hey my next door neighbour insisted I took out his Harley softail classic Heritage thing or what ever with side car this afternoon, he even filled it with gas . What the ffff I mean what the fff it was like driving a tank. I took it through the traffic up to the show with the missus sat in the chair.

Hes such a nice guy and he works so hard, Thai guy, he would do anything for me.
    He would not take 2 million baht for it,--50,000 dollars.
    Any way it was an experience. It pre detonated like hell (pinked) I gotta do that timing for him.

Hes got a 87 shovel head too and that is just as bad, what is it with these Harleys?

Its like sitting on a cement mixer with iron wheels and being pushed down the road.

So glad to get the thing home.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Gonzo was correct, it is breaking up, I hav'nt been anywhere yet and inside the tank looks like the bottom of a chicken house.

Sigh--I cleaned it out again and got out a good portion of brown cereal like corn flakes. Its only a week ago!!!

I have had people congratulate me on the paint work but inside is ****.

I don't know what to do now, keep cleaning every week, make a copy in fibreglass.

Looking in the tank after cleaning there is big globs of fibre glass resin in some places and others just rusty steel, thinks il'le go down the pub.

I can buy a fibre glass upper tank that fits over a small tank to make the bike look bigger!!! yes I know,--I agree, but they are available for the 200cc Honda Phantom. It is such a nice job I thought I could fibre glass in a bottom to it.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Kiss the paint job goodbye and burn it out, Stuff should go up in flames just fine. Then hit it with muratic acid or something just as easily obtainable to get the soot out. Try again with something that works.

cheers
    B

oh
    and I think why that Harley runs so rough over there might be because Harley's have an oddball ignition system were both sparks happen in tandem instead of opposite. Not sure why but its what I am always hearing so I'm thinking it could be igniting residual fuel. If your running 85% alcohol then maybe its running cool enough that its not getting up to efficient operating temp and residual fuel is igniting in the off cylinder just as fuel is igniting in the power cylinder

maybe
    I"m not a Harley mechanic but I sure know a few
    it would make for a pretty rough ride tho

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Most motorcycles have a waisted spark system. They take the ignitors off the crank and not the cam as a car would so every TDC it fires. This does'nt matter because on exhaust stroke it does nothing. E 85 will not be noticable, I cant tell the difference on my 4 bikes what fuel I have it in. Its pipes that give trouble --oh and tanks.

Talking of the tank!! oh sob sob I cant set fire to it--

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

why not its metal
    take all the plastic fittings off of it and get some marshmallows

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Marshmellows? is that BBQ lighters? good idea but what about the smoke --I live in a residential area, the fire engine will be here in 2 minutes.

No plastic fittings, pet cock out, ready to fire, I suppose.

There are places here that do this repair. An old guy sitting outside under a tree with an oxy set and glasses at the end of his nose ,over in the field is a few tanks burning.