I think Ive made resin mistake

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Don't worry Frosty the tanks only between your legs. Save the chain and make yourself some chainmail undies.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think its working,-- its outside in the sun as I type, its so hot I can barely touch it, It seems to be drying through, at least its to the point that it is possibly acceptable.

Err how can the chain spark? there is about 1/8 inch coat of fibre glass in there.

I think I will give it a swill with strong soap and water and call it a day.

Even if I get the odd gunk coming through it will be no worse than the constant rust dust problem I had before from this 85 gasohol fuel I 'have' to buy.

I was getting an expert at cleaning out the primary jet,--- by the time the lads had turned sound and finished with all the "what's up with this piece of **** now" I had it done. I hope they have reliable bikes from now on, he who lives in glass houses shouldnt throw stones
    I don't even want to talk about hoses, Im now using bright yellow silicone hose !!!!!.

Big bike weekend here,--second only to Sturges, 11,000 bikes in the show according to the radio this morning , wall of death, beer tents Harley dealers with scantly clad bikini girls, para sailing shows, second hand parts ,tyres, classic bikes , customs bikes and a thunderous ride through the town tomorrow at 3pm. 200,000 visitors last year, Singapore bike clubs and Malaysia bike clubs all coming and groups on stage till 4am.

Its free entry.

Thinks I might mosey on down and take a look see, its only 4 km from where I live, just near the sausage factory.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Gas is short for gasoline, and if you try to light a cigarette near a bucket of it you will know why it is called gasoline. :D

And who the hell are you to refer to Americans as "*******"? KMA.

4. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Frosty
    Whenever the resin is used as a topcoat, a liquid wax solution is mixed with the resin to seal off the surface during cure. The wax floats to the top and forms a barrier to air promoting full cure. Without it the top surface of the resin will remain uncured and feel tacky.

Poida,

Petrol is also gas or gasoline. Depends on what part of the world you are in. Funny but avgas is actually kerosene not gasoline.

Angelique,

Thanks. As usual you are quick on the search. You are an Angel.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

The chain rattling against itself.? Maybe? Maybe not?

I will take door number two, Bob. I believe resin dissolved in gasoline will be worse than debris floating around in petrol.

That's good timing.

6. rxcomposite

I think so too. My polyester treated tank had the fuel turned reddish. Not sticky but my 4 barrel sync carbs have not been the same since. I could not tune it. My mechanic says he has to unclog the very fine cavities using a hair thin stainless steel wire available only from medical suppliers. He says it is risky if the wire breaks.

Maybe I will soak it in acetone and use an ultrasonic cleaner. I see some white membrane like, sort of plastic residue in the bowl.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats it --thats what I wanted to hear and that what it was, I washed it out with 1/2 a pint of thinners. I was worried about the paint job but the thinners didnt hurt it. Any way after 2 minutes shaking with the chain I filled it with water and washing up liquid. Out came a gallon of milk and it was clean.

Yes a waxy surface, I thought soap and water took it off,--no way and petrol turns it into snot. You should see how clean the chain is.

Thanks for the help.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh by the way a lit cigarette will not ignite petrol. Seen it done at technical college.

Thats why you cant drink within 200 yds of an aircraft or smoke within 24 hours of flying.

But its really impossible to set fire to an aircraft by smoking near it.

Same **** as a phone affecting the aircraft GPS ,--saw it on Mythbusters.

A friend of mine,-- retired 747 pilot for British Airways says the reason you cant use a phone is it will connect to too many cells and can lock up the system, nothing to do with the aircfraft.

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Frosty don't you mean you are not allowed to have sex within 24 hours of flying or smoke while you are having sex.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no no no no no
    they told Frosty he wasn't allowed to have sex for fear of there ever being little Frosties
    something tells me the Thailand officials would be ok with fire and death

11. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

..there will be a disolving effect mate but it is from the 10% ethanol they add, it will eventually bugger up the resin, but for now let it roll, the damage is done, and as you say, better than rust anyhow.

Next time, try this: http://www.por15.com/

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yeah I now --there is all kinds of stuff on the market but not in Thailand. Well possibly in Bangkok but it would take me a week to find it.

Ethanol alcohol same same, but the thinners wiped it out for sure, I am snot free.

Maybe the lacquer that I used to paint the tank outside would work, man that stuff does'nt even care about thinners on it.

The only way to get this stuff out now would be to set fire to it .

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

which was my first suggestion and probably the one that in the end will actually clean it enough to be then treated with acid, then coated with something that works

14. rxcomposite

Here is the original metal tank, all beaten up after taking a mold. You can notice the rust at the joints.

Close up view of the tank that was treated with resin. The resin is no longer frosty (no pun intended) as it has been three years now without gasoline. But as you can see, I do not have a "neat" resin.

The gray fuel tank is the replica I dare not use unless I can find a suitable coating for the inside.

Attached Files:

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form