50 ft. Kaufman skeg and rudder

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Russell_W, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Russell_W

Russell_W New Member

I recently purchased a unfinished 50ft. Kaufman. The hull is made, most of the interior is finished, it needs the keel, skeg and rudder. However there are many drawings, these are the only to I have to go on. Does anybody know where I could get an alternative set designed or?

Attached Files:

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

This certainly sounds like a lot of work still to do to complete your new vessel.

Your second attachment appears to give the laminate schedule for the rudder and skeg, albeit it is rather vague, simply mentioning 10 layers of type 1708 mat.

The Skye 51 (a Kaufman design) appears to have a similar arrangement (re the side profile) for the rudder and the engine installation (re the vee drive) -
    SailboatData.com - SKYE 51 Sailboat https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/skye-51

Russell, can you post some photos of the boat as she is now please, and especially in way of the rudder / skeg and keel areas?
    Do you not have any information at all regarding any aspects of the keel?

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

There should be a drawing with the rudder and skeg section and dimensions, including the metal stock.
    Otherwise you have to loft everything from one of the scale drawings, and choose a suitable foil profile.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The blueprints should be to scale. The dimensions can be taken from them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.