I need your assistance to clarification about stability criteria as per IMO reg.

Discussion in 'Stability' started by iamseaman, Sep 16, 2011.

1. iamseaman

iamseaman New Member

Dear All Members,

I need your assistance to clarification about stability criteria as per IMO regulation
    For now we have pontoon barge as follow,
    L.O.A : 37.6 M.
    WIDTH : 8.0 M.
    DEPTH : 0.76 M.
    LIGHT LOAD DRAFT : 0.23 M.
    MAX DRAFT : 0.57 M.

I need to load cargo on this pontoon and also I need to satisfy about the stability criteria as per IMO regulation, I will use RESOLUTION A.749(18) for this issue.

Could you please help me to clarification about the RESOLUTION A.749(18) Adopted on 4 November 1993 (Agenda item 11)
    CODE ON INTACT STABILITY FOR ALL TYPES OF SHIPS COVERED BY IMO INSTRUMENTS,

What the Chapter can I use to applicable about the stability criteria for this pontoon barge? Chapter 3 , 3.1.2.1 to 3.1.2.4 or Chapter 4, 4.7.3.1 to 4, 4.7.3.3 ??
    Please advise,

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance,

2. Vinassman

Vinassman Junior Member

Hi Iamseaman,

As per Intact Stability Code (formerly resolution A.749(18)), "chapter 4, 7.1 Application", this part applies to pontoon if you meet the following requirement:

- non self-propelled (should be the case)
    - unmanned (same)
    - carrying only deck cargo (same)
    - having a block coefficient of 0.9 or greater (should be ok)
    - having a breadth/depth ratio of greater than 3 (10.5 in your case)
    - having no hatchways in the deck except small manholes closed with gasketed covers (should be the case).

If you meet this requirement, then you shall comply with the criteria from 4.7.

Hope it will clarify.

VM

3. iamseaman

iamseaman New Member

Thank you very much Vinassman.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.